Can't get a summer job

Watch this thread
thepunmaster.e
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I would like a job from July to beginning of September to earn some extra cash before I go back to uni. I've been away travelling for all of June but have been applying for jobs this whole month and can't even get an interview. I've applied for retail and hospitality jobs, at least 30 at this point ranging from Lidl to Michael Kors.

I have what I think is a professional looking CV and cover letter. I've never had a paid job before (I tried to get one last summer when I was 17 but wasn't able to) but I had work experience in 2020 and have been volunteering at a charity shop since February.

Is it because my CV says that I'm a first year student so employers are realising that I only want to work until September, after which I'll return to uni? Would really love some advice as its pretty demoralising seeing everyone else I know managing to find jobs and I don't know what I'm doing wrong
bea_murray0
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by thepunmaster.e)
I would like a job from July to beginning of September to earn some extra cash before I go back to uni. I've been away travelling for all of June but have been applying for jobs this whole month and can't even get an interview. I've applied for retail and hospitality jobs, at least 30 at this point ranging from Lidl to Michael Kors.

I have what I think is a professional looking CV and cover letter. I've never had a paid job before (I tried to get one last summer when I was 17 but wasn't able to) but I had work experience in 2020 and have been volunteering at a charity shop since February.

Is it because my CV says that I'm a first year student so employers are realising that I only want to work until September, after which I'll return to uni? Would really love some advice as its pretty demoralising seeing everyone else I know managing to find jobs and I don't know what I'm doing wrong
You might have more luck with local/independent businesses e.g. local pubs, small independent shops since they are generally more willing to employ inexperienced people. Also pubs and restaurants are likely to get more business in summer so will be looking to employ more workers for that period only, whereas supermarkets like Lidl will probably need a more constant staff base since there isn't the same huge fluctuation in business. I would make a big deal out of the charity shop volunteering on your CV and link in as many skills as you can, e.g. teamwork + communication (in a fast-paced environment if that applies) etc
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The big issue with your CV is that it simply doesn't have much on it, it can be as professionally formatted and laid out as you want.. but you can only dress up 'School' and 'Volunteering' so much unfortunately :/

Large retail chains will tbh have the pick of candidates with varied experience, it would be VERY hard with no/little exp to push your way past these people. What I would do is try to be in the right place at the right time, try to mitigate a lack of exp with being right there, keen and ready.

You would possibly have better chances with smaller employers/sole traders who are willing to be a bit more hands on with training someone up, and there are plenty jobs where the employer wants to train you their way and previous exp suddenly isn't the strength it was. (Gumtree is good for slightly more infomal jobs)

(I worked part time as a gardener my first few college/uni years, lots of sole traders taking on part timers for a few days a week, and the main gardening season finishes just after the colleges and uni's go back so it always suited me and the employer)
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Well everyone and their mum quite literally is applying to those roles. Ppl think getting into retail is easy cos the work is menial but that's exactly why getting into these minimum wage hourly roles is so difficult. Over saturation. That's why getting a trade is better than getting a job cos ur actually needed and wanted. But anyways.
pieham
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

I’ve just finished first year and had no luck with retail jobs because they don’t like the idea of training you for only 3 months of work. My advice is to look for warehouse roles - not the most enjoyable or interesting but, at the end of the day, you’re earning a decent amount of money during the summer. I just started working a Amazon; they let me pick my shifts, have so much overtime available and I don’t have to interact with customers lol
yaboyxerx
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pieham)
I’ve just finished first year and had no luck with retail jobs because they don’t like the idea of training you for only 3 months of work. My advice is to look for warehouse roles - not the most enjoyable or interesting but, at the end of the day, you’re earning a decent amount of money during the summer. I just started working a Amazon; they let me pick my shifts, have so much overtime available and I don’t have to interact with customers lol
Where did you apply for this warehouse job? I don't know where to look.
pieham
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by yaboyxerx)
Where did you apply for this warehouse job? I don't know where to look.
They’re everywhere and agencies are always looking for people - google, indeed, facebook groups, contact employment agencies in your area
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I was at the dentist for a routine check up and went to my local Sainsbury's today. Perhaps try to see if your local dentist practice is in desperate need of new people who are happy to work there. Good luck.
Try a recommended effective recruitment company, I’m sure that you can manage to find at least one based in your local area or try to check the local newspaper job advert section as well. This is important in addition. To do this, get a copy of the latest edition of your weekly newspaper.
Make brief summary notes and then do read a few job descriptions. Ensure that your resume is fully up to date and also proofread it carefully looking for spelling mistakes and errors. Talk to a useful but wholly independent career advisor, you can even speak to one online or face to face about your future career and study options.
The national career advice service can assist you or try looking for information at your local library etc. Search their site, phone or email them in order to discuss everything.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Clarks seem to be taking on for summer jobs as this is their busiest time of year.
Also try signing up to agencies.
OliviaBrown30
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Hi,
I know it is hard and you can feel upset when you see another rejection email comes in but maybe its a blessing in disguise. Furthermore, I have been in your shoes a number of times, so I know the feeling of being rejected one after the other. Eventually, you do get that one and then they all come at once it always happens.

Being on the hiring side, I would suggest that you do not say you can only work until September because they are more willing to hire someone who can work past that date. I would say you are fully flexible just now and in September your going back to university you will let them know when your timetable starts and the days you can work. As you might end up enjoy working in where ever you end up and might have time to work weekends and evenings Retail you normally have a probationary period of 2 to 3 months so if you say am leaving in September they won't look at if, if the contract is permeant

Make sure you have really sold yourself on your CV with working in a charity shop, maybe if you haven't go in to more about customer service that when they walked in the store you greeted the customer, you offered assistance you gave 100% until they left the store so that they would come back again. Was it just you in there at some points? One of the major parts of retail is the team member.

I would try and apply for Next they were one of my first jobs and I didn't have much experience very similar to yours and they are looking for seasonal so that might work out for you. Also ask your friends where they are working if any positions are going or keep a lookout for you.

When you get an interview which you will be confident and sell yourself an be confident in who you are as they will be looking for outgoing friendly people who will be able to mix in with the team. An if you don't get past that stage then take it as experience an keep going as a job will come.
Sumi.Ahmed.Begum
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Would you mind if you work in a nursery
YR_20
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Not doing anything wrong to be honest. Probably your lack of long term commitment as you’ve correctly identified. Indeed is not the best tool I would recommend to find a job. Instead, use those who you already know to recommend type to their employer. Hopefully, that way you would get more priority than other candidates.
jimmychoo72
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It's also quite late in the year to start applying as most specific summer jobs are advertised weeks or konths before. Try and think about what places are busy during summer and will need extra staff rather than supermarkets and the like that tend to take on permanent staff. Places like garden centres, tourist attractions, festivals, fruit farms, park cafes etc . Good luck
Exaucr
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

My best advice is take your CV go into stores and Hand them in in person makes you stand out more likely to get the job as no one else would’ve done that
Last edited by Exaucr; 1 month ago
badwolf29
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I had the same issue. I spent months applying to well over 80 jobs and only got a handful of interviews. A couple of the interviews that I went to they made it clear from the get go that they weren’t interested in me and already has someone else in mind. Like you, I also worked at a charity shop for a bit. I used to think I had a good CV, but it wasn’t until I went to the careers service at uni that they pointed out on how to improve it. Some employers will look at your CV and see that you don’t have experience, but if you go into detail of ‘skills’ that you gained from volunteering or school and show that they can be applied to a work setting it should increase your chances of getting employed. I would go over your CV with a professional, because even if you think your CV is up to scratch it might need some tweaking. However, it still takes time to actually find a job that is right for you. Once I adjusted my CV I was getting offers but turned so many down. Before, I was trying not to be picky with the roles I chose as I just wanted a job and didn’t care what I’d be doing and was applying for everything I saw. You’ve got to factor in thing such as travel. I don’t know what your situation is, but for me, I don’t drive, though I want to start lessons but I need to save up the money first. Some jobs just didn’t seem worth it, when 1/4 of my wages would have gone on travel, and on minimum wage too. Somewhere local is desirable, but none of my local shops were hiring, I guess because they’re so small they don’t need many ppl running them. It’s always good to go to your local shops with a copy of your CV and ask, as they might not have an advertisement online and could be looking for staff. I applied to a pub that was less than a 10 min walk from me and they invited me in for a trial and they told me they would call back, but I heard nothing from them. Even with a good CV, these things take time. I used to see a job as a just a job and something you just get on with but I think it’s important for your mental health that you find a job you enjoy, even if it’s temporary one, you’ll learn this through trial and error. I understand how hard it can be to get a job. When I was at college, I remember saying that I was looking for a job, and one of my classmates said, “just get a job, it’s easy”, which really irritated me because when ever I had spare time, I was spending 2 - 3 hours a day looking/applying for jobs and writing cover letters and got nothing. I’m currently training as a waiter and I’m enjoying it, lot more interesting than my previous job where I was sat down all day. Anyway, good luck job hunting, you just have to be patient, and get your CV reviewed. Not sure what your uni is like, but most offer mock interviews - I found this really helpful. Hopefully there are people at university that can support you with this.
Xbutterflyutopia
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
say you are considering a gap year. More likely to hire you. can always say you changed your mind after you got your results
pieham
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Xbutterflyutopia)
say you are considering a gap year. More likely to hire you. can always say you changed your mind after you got your results
That’s actually what I did lol, currently started a 9 month contract with full intention of going back to uni in September.
thepunmaster.e
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you everyone for your advice.

OliviaBrown30 your post was really helpful, interesting to see it from the other side. Will definitely take it onboard

I think at this point with only about 6 weeks before I go back to uni I'll accept I can't get a job but will try again next summer
badwolf29
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you everyone for your advice.

OliviaBrown30 your post was really helpful, interesting to see it from the other side. Will definitely take it onboard

I think at this point with only about 6 weeks before I go back to uni I'll accept I can't get a job but will try again next summer
Just because you're going back to uni, does not mean that you have to halt job hunting for a year. There's always the option of part time (just something to consider, I know you were looking for something up until September). In terms of hours, it depends on your workload and how well you can balance, uni, work and social life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (23)
17.69%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
23.85%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (71)
54.62%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.85%

Watched Threads