Is my school responsible for a teacher losing valuables?

Watch this thread
inshirakhan
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
On the 27th of June, I went on a school trip to London where we just explored the city and went on an uber boat. On the uber boat, I left my bag on the chair I was sitting on momentarily to stand up and watch the view from the side of the boat. The bag was in full view of a teaching assistant and also my friend. One of the other teachers with us decided to take my bag and move it to besides her feet, without asking me. When I came back a few minutes later, she waved me off and told me that she'd look after my stuff for me and make sure nothing gets lost. Once we left the uber boat and were on the tube to go somewhere else, I realised that my airpods were not in my bag, even though I'd made sure they were there when I had gotten onto the uber boat. Would it be possible for me to be reimbursed or for the teacher to be held responsible, or would I be at fault?
rosy_posy
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Maybe ask the teacher if she has seen your airpods
rakhtar061
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If you're saying it the way it happened, then yes. Because firstly, they should not take your bag if you're just standing up and going nowhere. Putting it by their feet allows them to take stuff more easily and out of anyone's eyeline. And if you are sure that you had your airpods when you started and it wasn't on the floor, then it is fair to see they took it.
marple
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by inshirakhan)
On the 27th of June, I went on a school trip to London where we just explored the city and went on an uber boat. On the uber boat, I left my bag on the chair I was sitting on momentarily to stand up and watch the view from the side of the boat. The bag was in full view of a teaching assistant and also my friend. One of the other teachers with us decided to take my bag and move it to besides her feet, without asking me. When I came back a few minutes later, she waved me off and told me that she'd look after my stuff for me and make sure nothing gets lost. Once we left the uber boat and were on the tube to go somewhere else, I realised that my airpods were not in my bag, even though I'd made sure they were there when I had gotten onto the uber boat. Would it be possible for me to be reimbursed or for the teacher to be held responsible, or would I be at fault?
They could have fallen out when you picked up the bag or been lost/stolen on your way to the Tube or on the Tube. It's a big leap to blame the teacher.
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If it happened the way you described it you would probably be responsible. You can always ask anyone who was there if they saw anything happen to your stuff, but you might have to put it down to being an expensive lesson in always keeping an eye on your important stuff in public :console:
Last edited by Chronoscope; 1 month ago
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Presumably you have reported the theft to the police and have a crime reference number?

As to liability; if the teacher said they would look after the bag then they are liable for loss of the contents. Getting reimbursement is another issue though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.19%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.22%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (70)
54.69%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.91%

Watched Threads