Exeter accommodation help

Watch this thread
Alicecollins22
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I’m stuck deciding on accommodation for September. I’m looking to go self-catered and at the moment my favourites are:
East park en-suite
East park standard
Lafrowda en-suite
Duryard or Birks grange en-suite
I would love east park en-suite but I know it’s very oversubscribed (1:2.7 ratio) so I’m wondering if it’s worth choosing another one as my first to make it more likely? Or would it make sense to put east park en suite first and then just the other afterwards? Also how likely are you to get your second/third/fourth option if you miss out on your first? As don’t want to be put off campus.
Thanks !
tw559
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Alicecollins22)
Hi I’m stuck deciding on accommodation for September. I’m looking to go self-catered and at the moment my favourites are:
East park en-suite
East park standard
Lafrowda en-suite
I would love east park en-suite but I know it’s very oversubscribed (1:2.7 ratio) so I’m wondering if it’s worth choosing another one as my first to make it more likely? Or would it make sense to put east park en suite first and then just the other afterwards? Also how likely are you to get your second/third/fourth option if you miss out on your first? As don’t want to be put off campus.
Thanks !
Those are some solid accommodation choices! One thing to keep in mind is that East Park and Lafrowda are on the east of the campus, which means it's generally a shorter walk to town, and they tend to be a bit closer to campus center. As for what to apply for, if you want an East Park en-suite, then put it as your first choice! As long as you apply by the 31st of July, you're guaranteed accommodation from the university, so the worst case is that you don't get your first place. As for odds of getting second choice, you're quite likely to get it if you don't get your first from what I've heard. Hope this helps, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Alicecollins22
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by tw559)
Those are some solid accommodation choices! One thing to keep in mind is that East Park and Lafrowda are on the east of the campus, which means it's generally a shorter walk to town, and they tend to be a bit closer to campus center. As for what to apply for, if you want an East Park en-suite, then put it as your first choice! As long as you apply by the 31st of July, you're guaranteed accommodation from the university, so the worst case is that you don't get your first place. As for odds of getting second choice, you're quite likely to get it if you don't get your first from what I've heard. Hope this helps, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Okay thanks so much! I will probably go for the one I like the most then. The probability table says 1:1.1 for east park en suite, so if I put that second does that mean I wouldn’t get it as there are more applications than spaces ?
tw559
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Okay thanks so much! I will probably go for the one I like the most then. The probability table says 1:1.1 for east park en suite, so if I put that second does that mean I wouldn’t get it as there are more applications than spaces ?
Not necessarily, they always try to make sure people get one of their top few spots, so it really depends. I'd just put whichever ones you like the look of the most in that order.
ExeterStudentRep
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
East park en-suite
East park standard
Lafrowda en-suite
Thanks !
Hello Alicecollins22!

I definitely recommend listing the order that you want for accommodation! The accommodation team begins allocating in a random order after the deadline, so you never know-- you may be able to get your first choice (also the demand for different accommodations changes yearly, so it can be difficult to predict!). The accommodation team does their best to put you in one of your first choices, but that being said, it is possible to get your 3rd, 4th, or 5th choice, or another option altogether. I would recommend not being too stressed about accommodation, as fundamentally a lot are quite similar. Plus, Exeter is quite a walkable city with great public transport options as well, so all of the accommodations are quite close (even if they are off campus). I personally chose to live at St. Davids, and while it is off campus, it takes me about 15-20 min to get to campus, 15 min to get to town, and its also super easy to get on a train, which I love (it makes visiting the beach in the summertime quite easy!!). Plus there is a free shuttle to get me up to campus that runs every 20 minutes in the morning and afternoon 😄

Let me know if you have any more accommodation questions!

Best,
Mel, University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd avoid Duryard or Birks - steep hill to campus and not great if you have 9am lectures!
Last edited by Muttley79; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (8)
34.78%
Take a gap year (5)
21.74%
Resit my exams (6)
26.09%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (2)
8.7%
I don't know yet (1)
4.35%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4.35%

Watched Threads