Chemistry titration

Watch this thread
MrLemonMan
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! My question is why is the mean titre calculated from the second and third titre and not all three?

This question is about a white solid, MHCO3, that dissolves in water and reacts with
hydrochloric acid to give a salt.
MHCO3 + HCl → MCl + H2O + CO2
A student was asked to design an experiment to determine a value for the Mr of
MHCO3. The student dissolved 1464 mg of MHCO3 in water and made the solution
up to 250 cm3

25.0 cm3 samples of the solution were titrated with 0.102 mol dm−3 hydrochloric
acid. The results are shown in Table 1. (I attached this as a word document)

Calculate the mean titre and use this to determine the amount, in moles, of HCl that reacted with 25.0 cm3 of the MHCO3 solution.
Attached files
Last edited by MrLemonMan; 1 month ago
Mitullesh
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
For titrations you have to look at concordant results which are values that are defined as being +/- 0.1cm^3 of each other so in your case, titre 1 is 0.15 from 3 and 0.25 from 2 but titres 2 and 3 are within 0.1 of each other and thus are concordant meaning these are the values used. hope this helps. If it isn't clear I'd be happy to explain more so just ask!
MrLemonMan
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Mitullesh)
For titrations you have to look at concordant results which are values that are defined as being +/- 0.1cm^3 of each other so in your case, titre 1 is 0.15 from 3 and 0.25 from 2 but titres 2 and 3 are within 0.1 of each other and thus are concordant meaning these are the values used. hope this helps. If it isn't clear I'd be happy to explain more so just ask!
Holy crap that makes so much sense! That really helped thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (15)
36.59%
They're what I expected (11)
26.83%
They're worse than what I expected (15)
36.59%

Watched Threads