Nightlife at your uni

Watch this thread
michaelkff
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m still at college but beginning to look around at unis. I’m wondering what a night out’s been like where you are
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by michaelkff )
I’m still at college but beginning to look around at unis. I’m wondering what a night out’s been like where you are
Hi,

A city's nightlife is something lots of students ask questions about when looking around universities, and it is important you live in a place where you will be happy to study and live whilst also having the opportunities to go out and have fun. I have really enjoyed the nightlife in Southampton, as the city is home to two universities (Uni of Southampton and Solent) there is a large student presence which gives the city a thriving a buzzing atmosphere. There are a wide range of restaurants, cocktail bars and nightclubs to pick from, so there will always be something on offer to suit your personal tastes. The city's clubs and bars often advertise student nights or deals, which often means cheaper entry or drinks on selected nights.

Another important factor is feeling safe on a night out, which understandably will be at the forefront of a lot of people's minds. From personal experience, I have always felt very safe walking through Southampton. People are often present on the streets of the city centre which made me feel more secure, helped even more by the frequent bus links (Unilink and Bluestar) that allowed me to get taken directly to my accommodation (I was staying at Glen Eyre, which I would highly recommend if you decide to consider Southampton). The ability to easily access an Uber also makes getting to and from a night out really easy.

As well as the city, the Southampton Student's Union offers really great opportunities for nights out. The on-campus pub, Stags, and the on-campus bar, Below Deck, are a really great option for a night out that is in a safe environment and can be cheaper than heading into the city! Stag's karaoke is an unbelievably popular event held weekly, it has such a great atmosphere that sees everyone singing along together and enjoying themselves.

If you do end up considering Southampton, I hope you really enjoy your visit and found this overview of the nightlife helpful. If you have anymore questions about Southampton, or university generally, I would be happy to help answer them. What are you thinking of studying at university?

Jasmine (an Official University of Southampton Rep)
Durham Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi there michaelkff

Durham's nightlife is really lively and ongoing throughout the term time. It is also special in a sense because all 17 colleges at Durham have their own bar apart from the ones in the city centre. The intimacy of the city allows you to do a bar crawl- you need the time management of Sherlock Holmes for it but damn is it fun! Even for people who are not into drinking, society events are an amazing opportunity to have fun at night. There are over 250 societies at Durham- each with its own niche- and you can join as many as you like (or even start one). What's also interesting about Durham is the formal dinner culture where you get to wear classy black gowns and dress formally for a dinner in your college

As far as safety is concerned, I have never really felt scared walking home at night whether it's from the library or a bar. The SU runs a nightcab service which allows you to call a cab only for £2 which is wayyy cheaper than Uber!

Drop a follow on thedurhamstudent TikTok and Instagram pages to explore content created by our students showing life at Durham.

Feel free to ask any further questions

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
Last edited by Durham Students; 1 month ago
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

I hope you're well

I wanted to chirp in, because the night life in Liverpool is absolutely amazing. All the bars, and clubs are so close by and located mostly in Concert Square - which means you can bar / club hop if you ever get bored which is fun! As well, it's quite cheap in comparison to other cities as there is student nights almost every night - so that's another plus. Everyone in the city is really friendly too, and it's always busy so you never really feel 'alone' if that makes sense. I've really enjoyed my time, and it has a really good reputation

If you can, I recommend going to the universities that you're planning to go to, just to get a vibe and check it all out. Here's a bit more information on Liverpool, and if you have any further questions do let me know: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/in...d%20nightclubs!

I hope that's helpful.
Ana - UoL Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (30)
17.96%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (43)
25.75%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
50.9%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.39%

Watched Threads