How do I become a data analyst/data scientist with an accounting/finance/investment b

Watch this thread
bigfouroffer
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How do I become a data analyst/data scientist with an accounting/finance/investment background?

Hi guys, please help me out, I need some guidance.
I want to pursue a data scientist career in accounting, banking or the financial sector, but I don't know whether I'm on the right track? Or is there any advice/ experience that you guys can share with me, how should I start with it?

I have a bachelor's degree in accounting and finance and a master's degree in finance/ investment. I studied data science (learnt R), econometrics (learnt Stata) and quantitative methods as optional courses in both my degrees. I worked as an accountant for a year and a half, and I found out that is not the career I want to pursue. I'm currently working as a data analyst in digital marketing. I enjoy very much where I get to work/ deal with data, but I have no idea/am not interested at all in digital marketing/ media agency.

Where I start to wonder if this work experience considers relevant and will get me the job I want in the end?
Is it better for me to start as a business analyst (where in the JD they look for people with my background), and switch to data analyst/ data Scientist? Or I should just stick with my current role? Which path will be easier for me?
I'm considering studying for another master's degree in data science and business analytics after a few more years of working if necessary, just want to know does the master's degree going to help a lot? Or self-learning those coding languages (SQL, Python, Machine learning, etc) / online courses will do?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bigfouroffer)
How do I become a data analyst/data scientist with an accounting/finance/investment background?

Hi guys, please help me out, I need some guidance.
I want to pursue a data scientist career in accounting, banking or the financial sector, but I don't know whether I'm on the right track? Or is there any advice/ experience that you guys can share with me, how should I start with it?

I have a bachelor's degree in accounting and finance and a master's degree in finance/ investment. I studied data science (learnt R), econometrics (learnt Stata) and quantitative methods as optional courses in both my degrees. I worked as an accountant for a year and a half, and I found out that is not the career I want to pursue. I'm currently working as a data analyst in digital marketing. I enjoy very much where I get to work/ deal with data, but I have no idea/am not interested at all in digital marketing/ media agency.

Where I start to wonder if this work experience considers relevant and will get me the job I want in the end?
Is it better for me to start as a business analyst (where in the JD they look for people with my background), and switch to data analyst/ data Scientist? Or I should just stick with my current role? Which path will be easier for me?
I'm considering studying for another master's degree in data science and business analytics after a few more years of working if necessary, just want to know does the master's degree going to help a lot? Or self-learning those coding languages (SQL, Python, Machine learning, etc) / online courses will do?
Don't do another PG qualification.

Yes, I'd probably go with applying for BA/DA roles and then pivot towards DS internally if possible. Alternatively, apply for Jr DS roles straight away if you feel comfortable enough to interview.

Also, learning R (or any language for that matter) =/= studying Data Science.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.46%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.6%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (68)
53.97%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.97%

Watched Threads