The Student Room Group

How much of a role do IB points play in the selection procedure for Medical schools?

I'm a student who graduated with 43 and is looking to apply to Med schools in the UK. Even if I have to do the UCAT, complete a personal statement and do an interview, how much of a role do IB points play? Considering that many med schools in the UK require at least 36/37, am I secured a spot in these universities with a 43? Of course the other components mentioned are important but to ensure a spot in at least one Medical school, should I just be applying to low-profile Medical schools or do I have a shot in some of the highest ranked schools?
(edited 1 year ago)
thanks for the tag! OP, basically each of your HL subjects is equivalent to an A-Level, with 7=A*, 6=A etc.

The extent to which your IB grades matter depends very much on the university you apply to however, as a general rule, your UCAT score is far more important in interview selection. If you miss a university’s UCAT cutoff score (e.g. 2870 for Bristol, or 2620 for Liverpool (domestic stats)), then even a 45 won’t save you.

To be honest, until you sit the UCAT, it is impossible to tell you which would be safe choices. Some universities like Exeter and Edinburgh place higher emphasis on IB results pre-interview, but even they do this in combination with your IB score

So with a good IB mark and a good UCAT score, am I pretty much secured a spot? How well does your interview have to go to ensure you're through into Med school? Can I afford to fall short here and there during the interviews if I have very good UCAT and IB scores? And why is it so much more competitive for international students? Is it because of the number of international students that apply or that local students are prioritised?
Original post by fickle_minded43

So with a good IB mark and a good UCAT score, am I pretty much secured a spot? How well does your interview have to go to ensure you're through into Med school? Can I afford to fall short here and there during the interviews if I have very good UCAT and IB scores? And why is it so much more competitive for international students? Is it because of the number of international students that apply or that local students are prioritised?

No, you are guaranteed an interview. With a few exceptions, post-interview, your interview score is all that matters.

International student numbers are very strictly capped and there are far less places available than there are for domestic students:
https://www.officeforstudents.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/funding-for-providers/health-education-funding/medical-and-dental-target-intakes/
Original post by IBkidinthecorner
@ecolier thanks for the tag! OP, basically each of your HL subjects is equivalent to an A-Level, with 7=A*, 6=A etc.

The extent to which your IB grades matter depends very much on the university you apply to however, as a general rule, your UCAT score is far more important in interview selection. If you miss a university’s UCAT cutoff score (e.g. 2870 for Bristol, or 2620 for Liverpool (domestic stats)), then even a 45 won’t save you.

To be honest, until you sit the UCAT, it is impossible to tell you which would be safe choices. Some universities like Exeter and Edinburgh place higher emphasis on IB results pre-interview, but even they do this in combination with your IB score

Thanks for the response. How can one research and determine which Med schools place higher emphasis on IB results over others?
Alright thanks. If you don't mind, could you perhaps share me the link/source for how many spots are available for international students?
Thanks for the response. How can one research and determine which Med schools place higher emphasis on IB results over others?

One example I can think of on top of my head is that the IB gives you more UCAS points for QMUL.
(edited 1 year ago)

Ngl there isn’t an easy way as far as I’m aware. If you head over to this thread
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7102578 and @GANFYD will advise your once you have sat your UCAT exam.

Off the top of my head, Edinburgh use UCAT, IB results and GCSEs to shortlist for interview, Exeter 3 7s at HL and 2850 as a domestic student, Aberdeen uses 60% IB and 40% UCAT, and I believe QMUL look at IB results post-int but I could be wrong about that one
Alright thanks. If you don't mind, could you perhaps share me the link/source for how many spots are available for international students?

Med schools tend to place more emphasis on GCSEs if they use a points system e.g. Nottingham and Birmingham as the standard year 13 applicant has sat exams as opposed to the inflated predicted A-Level results

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending