I had to decline an already accepted job offer abroad

Watch this thread
euginesia
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I was selected by one of my fav organisations; I was honestly so thrilled. The process was long but worth every minute. I signed the offer (not the contract) 3 days ago.
The job is abroad (ME), and I am doing a master's in the UK. Before applying, I made sure there was no problem with continuing online (as many people I know are doing that). I talked to my convenors, professors, etc. They all gave me the green light and submitted their approval for me to do so.
I sent my letter yesterday stating the date I was leaving the country. In response, the visa advisor told me they were about to publish a new policy where all students (TIER 4) had to stay in the country regardless of previous permits.
I was just so sad and angry...
I even explored the possibility of pausing my studies, but it's just too much to be sacrificed.

I sent a letter to the recruiter explaining everything. I said that for the reasons above, I could not join them. It was a very kind and honest letter.
Long story short: they haven't replied to anything. Not even an acknowledgement.
I feel so heartbroken and disappointed. I think I let them down, but also I feel unfortunate with myself. I worked so hard for this, and now it is gone.
Also, I am so worried about burning bridges with people, and my personality is very apprehensive about everything.

My friends have told me that I should not worry about what they think and that I just did what was best for me. However, my brain doesn't work that way. I feel incredibly guilty for not being able to honour a commitment, even if it wasn't a binding document.

Have you gone for something similar? Can you please give me your insights? Do you think they will reply?
Last edited by euginesia; 1 month ago
Theking997
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by euginesia)
I was selected by one of my fav organisations; I was honestly so thrilled. The process was long but worth every minute. I signed the offer (not the contract) 3 days ago.
The job is abroad (ME), and I am doing a master's in the UK. Before applying, I made sure there was no problem with continuing online (as many people I know are doing that). I talked to my convenors, professors, etc. They all gave me the green light and submitted their approval for me to do so.
I sent my letter yesterday stating the date I was leaving the country. In response, the visa advisor told me they were about to publish a new policy where all students (TIER 4) had to stay in the country regardless of previous permits.
I was just so sad and angry...
I even explored the possibility of pausing my studies, but it's just too much to be sacrificed.

I sent a letter to the recruiter explaining everything. I said that for the reasons above, I could not join them. It was a very kind and honest letter.
Long story short: they haven't replied to anything. Not even an acknowledgement.
I feel so heartbroken and disappointed. I think I let them down, but also I feel unfortunate with myself. I worked so hard for this, and now it is gone.
Also, I am so worried about burning bridges with people, and my personality is very apprehensive about everything.

My friends have told me that I should not worry about what they think and that I just did what was best for me. However, my brain doesn't work that way. I feel incredibly guilty for not being able to honour a commitment, even if it wasn't a binding document.

Have you gone for something similar? Can you please give me your insights? Do you think they will reply?
I rejected a summer experience after committing to it because I found something better. The organisation understood it and wished me the best for my future. Long story short, they will understand the situation if you are polite. If they are ghosting you then you probably dodged a bullet. But they may be busy, so give them a few days.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.46%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.6%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (68)
53.97%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.97%

Watched Threads