scared to go gym, shall i just buy weights?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
basically i have crippling social anxiety and have been putting off going to gym for years. i’ve had a few memberships but rarely went. i tried to force myself to go cuz i thought it would get better, but my anxiety got worse if anything. shall i literally just buy weights at this point? idk how many more years it will take better my social anxiety and i could have made so much progress by now..
Mrepic Foulger
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Kind of hard to say without knowing your financial situation
jenny07
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
basically i have crippling social anxiety and have been putting off going to gym for years. i’ve had a few memberships but rarely went. i tried to force myself to go cuz i thought it would get better, but my anxiety got worse if anything. shall i literally just buy weights at this point? idk how many more years it will take better my social anxiety and i could have made so much progress by now..
There are a lot of fitness videos on youtube these days that you can follow along with in the comfort of your own home. You can definitely buy weights if you would like, but you can also exercise without them too. Be sure to start slowly and use light weights first.
micholate9
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yea you can absolutely buy weights and use workout videos if you feel more comfortable. There are loads of free websites. I personally like FitOn and Fitness Blender. You can get good results without having to go to the gym.

If you’d like to work on your social anxiety at the gym then maybe try taking it one step at a time. You could set a goal to just use one piece of equipment during your visit. It doesn’t matter what it is, just pick one. Maybe a treadmill or stationary bike or cross trainer. Something that’s easy to use. Once you get used to it, try adding another in. If you take it one step at a time it might get easier over time. If you have the money, you could get a PT session and they’ll show you how to use equipment that you’re not familiar with. That might help you feel less anxious.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (18)
19.15%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (32)
34.04%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
5.32%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
2.13%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (9)
9.57%
Reading articles about what steps to take (18)
19.15%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
4.26%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
6.38%

Watched Threads