Undergraduate study?

Watch this thread
Felixffa
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i’m confused as to what I should study at undergraduate?
i have around 43 points predicted IB which equates to about A*A*A at A level…
i want to study economics but can only study at few places as i don’t take HL maths?
i’m open to study new things? what is recommended for a good general degree if you have top grades? what sort of institutions?
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Just find something you're interested in, that doesn't have any subject requirements. Many if not most degrees will accept any subjects, and there are lots of options at e.g. Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Edinburgh, etc.

Some more obscure options include Viking & Old Norse studies/ASNAC, Sanskrit, Assyriology/ancient Near Eastern studies, archaeology of Egypt and Sudan, land economy, Scandinavian studies, heritage, economic history, scottish ethnology, war studies, political economy etc.

Less obscure options accepting any subject combination include anthropology, sociology, history of art (also consider the Courtauld for this), politics and/or IR, philosophy, linguistics, many languages (may prefer to see some language learning experience in general but you'll have this in IB anyway) offered ab initio, etc.

Also any STEM subject available with a foundation year, regardless of your subject combination - which are commonly available at very strong unis for those subjects like Birmingham, Manchester, and Southampton among others.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Without HL Maths you have very limited options for a straight Econ degree - and for Econ, 'which Uni' does matter.
One option is a 'BA' Econ degree which will be more social science focussed and involve far less maths/quantitative work - examples are Sussex - https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/under...s/economics-ba - and Reading - https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-s...g/ba-economics

Or have a look at joint subject degrees that are 'with Economics'.
Examples - Politics with Economics at Bath - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/under...ith-economics/ - or International Development with Economics at UEA - https://www.uea.ac.uk/course/undergr...with-economics
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Felixffa)
i’m confused as to what I should study at undergraduate?
i have around 43 points predicted IB which equates to about A*A*A at A level…
i want to study economics but can only study at few places as i don’t take HL maths?
i’m open to study new things? what is recommended for a good general degree if you have top grades? what sort of institutions?
Here is a list of places accepting students without A level Maths. I assume the same might apply to you. Nottingham is really good. Somebody with excellent A levels and no Maths got in there recently.

If you are looking for other subjects look into things like Politics, Law or Sociology as they dont have the Maths restrictions. Most leading universities will have closed their entry books for this year.
Felixffa
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Just find something you're interested in, that doesn't have any subject requirements. Many if not most degrees will accept any subjects, and there are lots of options at e.g. Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Edinburgh, etc.

Some more obscure options include Viking & Old Norse studies/ASNAC, Sanskrit, Assyriology/ancient Near Eastern studies, archaeology of Egypt and Sudan, land economy, Scandinavian studies, heritage, economic history, scottish ethnology, war studies, political economy etc.

Less obscure options accepting any subject combination include anthropology, sociology, history of art (also consider the Courtauld for this), politics and/or IR, philosophy, linguistics, many languages (may prefer to see some language learning experience in general but you'll have this in IB anyway) offered ab initio, etc.

Also any STEM subject available with a foundation year, regardless of your subject combination - which are commonly available at very strong unis for those subjects like Birmingham, Manchester, and Southampton among others.
This is very helpful...
im thinking of IR with Spanish potentially at LSE + other competitive unis...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (63)
68.48%
In the post (3)
3.26%
Text (13)
14.13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (13)
14.13%

Watched Threads