is computer sci hard gcse?

Watch this thread
lmaooo_
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
im y9, i have no knowledge of coding but i know about computer hardware, internet, databases. do you guys think that i should go with computer sci? noting my school doesnt offer ICT.
hyacinth77
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lmaooo_)
im y9, i have no knowledge of coding but i know about computer hardware, internet, databases. do you guys think that i should go with computer sci? noting my school doesnt offer ICT.
It definitely depends on the level of interest you have. I chose computer science not knowing anything at all and I ended up barely passing. I chose it on a whim and if I could go back I would've done Latin instead. The fact that you already know the basics shows to me that you'll do just fine doing a GCSE in Computer Science. I'd say ask a few people about it (especially the teachers that would teach you the course) and look at the spec to know exactly what you'll learn- it'd probably be OCR

Wishing you all the best
RedVelvet16
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
you'd do fine -- ocr is quite a nice board and you've got 2 years; the coding paper doesn't rlly have much coding and mroe stuff to do with algorithms (e.g. binary sort and bubble search) but you'll learn all that in y10

i didn't find it too difficult if im honest
Sir Erling
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I took GCSE computer science: I knew a little theory before the course but it soon became my strongest subject. If you're prepared to put in the hard work, it can be really rewarding. Plus - and forgive the cliché - everything's going to be a computer-centred techtopia, apparently (no idea if that's a word or not but it feels like it should be), so having some knowledge of how computers work will be really helpful in the 2030s or whenever.

Ask around at your school and ask if it's right for you. Coding is really easy to pick up, but if you know the theory, which is databases, hardware/software, e-safety, TCP/IP layer, databases (including SQL) that's the majority of the course covered. I strongly recommend Comp Sci for you.

The course tends to have both 2 papers, one focused on programming and a little bit of theory, and the other which is theory-heavy. You will also have an NEA (which is usually a program that's completed in school), but you'll most likely do it in late Y10.

Your school most likely offers OCR - and it's quite a nice spec compared to what I got with AQA, otherwise they'll probably go with AQA (like literally no-one does Edexcel for comp sci).

Hope this helps
naila_h
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I am in Y10 and do computing, it is a good subject if you are interested in hardware and the internet. The coding part is fairly simple - I would say almost easier than the parts about hardware, networks, and operating systems (e.t.c). Picking programming up is not that hard, the most crucial part is knowing and understanding the fundamentals. We finished the course relatively quickly (in late May). I would say it is not as much content compared to some of the other subjects I do, but understanding how to answer exam questions is very important. It provides a perfect base of knowledge for a world where almost everything revolves around computers.
zeam26
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
i chose computer science knowing nothing and im struggling barely passing, it is do able if you focus your time on it but you wont have much time with your other subjects. if you are committed to revising hard on it then its very do able to do well in and will look great in your cv!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
32.79%
They're what I expected (19)
31.15%
They're worse than what I expected (22)
36.07%

Watched Threads