The Student Room Group

Key differences between learning to drive just a car and learning with a trailer

Obviously with a car and trailor i mean. Or possibly a step up to van or jeep and trailer

I'm in another country so please ignore test technicalities and just focus on the driving. I picked up useful tips here for my car test and I passed it. So thank you

I know with a trailer it's going to be harder.

But i want a few of the main pointers to prepare for that would be taken for granted comapred to just driving a car.

Basically to try and be ready and not be like the first day being told that:
"im typical of someone who just drove a car before and not had trailor behind it"

Obviously a trailer is going to slow you down a bit. But like by how much

Basically I'm asking ratios here. What you'd normally get away with on car only vs car/jeep/van and trailer

What are those pointers basically

The key rules (apart from speed and stuff) or the car mechanics don't change.

It's a much for adjusting behaviour as is everything else
Reply 1
If you can drive a car you can tow a trailer, it just follows you. Turning corners and steering into gaps - you need to think where the turn axis is between tow vehicle and trailer so your trailer doesn't go up the kerb or scrape down the side of another parked vehicle. Do 'L' shaped turns and have a wider swing.

Go slower, the higher your speed the more likely you are to lose control. If you consider driving about 10% slower than car driving it is probably a safer bet (but it all depends if you know what a safe speed is for any given circumstance in a car?)
If you over react with inexperience and a lack of forward planning to hazards you could end up jack knifing your trailer. If your trailer is significantly heavier than the kerbside weight of the towing vehicle and you speed (excessive speed over 60mph) or in bad weather/downhill you could end up with a trailer wig wag. (The tail wagging the dog)

If you can't reverse in a car without a trailer you will struggle with a trailer where you turn your steering wheel in the opposite direction to normal to initiate the turn. Small trailers are notoriously hard to steer in reverse.

Best of luck
Be aware of the extra length - for example when pulling back into lane after overtaking.
Very light trailers can bounce on poor surfaces.
If you can't see the trailer from your driving position then consider having something you can see (in the front) to remind you it is there.
Drop your speed the moment it starts to weave.
Check local laws for speed limits - in the UK they are lower when towing.
Check what the max weight is for your towbar/car and don't exceed it. A trailer won't necessarily slow you down, unless heavily laden or an underpowered car, but you should slow down when towing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending