The Student Room Group

Why am I unproductive

I like to be productive. I find it fun and it makes me feel happy. I hate being unproductive and being on social media. I don’t enjoy it and it makes me feel a lot worse. So why do I spend all my time on social media instead of being productive (which I actually enjoy). It doesn’t make sense to me, but I still do it
try a new hobby
Original post by Anonymous
I like to be productive. I find it fun and it makes me feel happy. I hate being unproductive and being on social media. I don’t enjoy it and it makes me feel a lot worse. So why do I spend all my time on social media instead of being productive (which I actually enjoy). It doesn’t make sense to me, but I still do it

Hi there,

My name is El! And I understand how controllive social media can be. Sometimes my ADHD makes me focus too long on Tiktok due to how quick pace and intriguing it is; I never get bored of it and it's dangerous!

I now have my phone on screen time setting, so it can record my screen time and allow me to know how long I've been on it daily, just so I can see when I've been on it for longer and why- such as, days when I'm not working or painting, I'm usually on it for longer! And so I know when to avoid my phone and know to do something else other than look at my phone- such as paint, go for a walk or read a book!
I now have my screen time down to 3 hours a day which still feels a lot but that's simply because I use my phone a lot for reference photos during sketching and replying to family!

I do believe you can get apps on your phone too to send you notifications/reminders when you have been on too long, or even turn off your wifi from your phone to get you off of it! It may be good to look at some of these apps as some can even put timers on other apps. So, if you use instagram a lot it will cut you off from it for a short while ever so often.

And I do believe once you've sat down to switch off, it's difficult to not think 'why can't I relax more?' so even if you enjoy being busy and productive, it gets overthrown by the love of being comfy with your phone!
So it'll be good to just remind yourself to get up sometimes once you get your first thought of 'I wish I was productive'. As soon as you hear that once, get up! Do something! Even if it's something small, just get up and out of that habit!

I hope this helps.

El

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending