driving lessons during 3rd year? advice pls

Watch this thread
clover!
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys, I need a bit of advice please.

So I started doing lessons around October last year whilst in 2nd year of Uni. It was not my choice & my parents basically booked these lessons for me behind my back. I went along with it and did 1 hour lessons every week from October to April with some break weeks during deadlines & exams. Now, I have very bad anxiety & it gets worse when it comes to driving. I stopped taking lessons in April to focus on my 2nd year exams & honestly, I wanted to drop driving altogether as I feel like 3rd year will be even busier & harder. Unfortunately, both of my parents are really pushing me to continue & want me to start taking lessons again straight away. Honestly, I don't feel like I'm close to taking my test yet since I am still struggling with roundabouts, parallel parking & I have a bad habit of not slowing down enough before taking turns & therefore I don't think I could pass this summer, especially as I don't want to go back to my old instructor (used to always show up 30 minutes late, making me late for uni & would never give me time back at the end + would never apologise or anything) & none of the good instructors are available at the moment where I live, meaning I would probably be doing lessons whilst in 3rd year.

Now my actual question: do you guys think it would be too stressful taking lessons whilst in 3rd year? (I do biomed). I honestly don't know what to do. I was thinking maybe I could get back into it as soon as 3rd year is over, but my parents are REALLY forcing me to start lessons straight away again.
Last edited by clover!; 1 month ago
jiajane
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Do ur parents have a reason for pushing u?

Don’t force urself to take the lessons if u feel like u aren’t ready. Especially since u mentioned about developing anxiety as a result. Assuming this will be ur final yr, 3rd yr usually does get demanding (e.g., dissertation, exams, placement). If u’re someone with good time management then juggling driving lessons & uni should be manageable to some extent. However ur driving anxiety could affect some aspects of ur academic life (speaking from personal experience — when I had a bad lesson I used to get upset & dwell on it in class). I’d focus on completing 3rd yr with no potential distractions and graduating with a good classification. U have all the time after to focus on building up ur confidence to drive again!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads