Poor Yr12 Maths result

Watch this thread
GoofySchmoofy
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I did really bad in a recent year 12 A-level maths exam. How do people revise for maths ( Edexcel )??
peteryoungy
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
sme I also did bad. I got a D. I think just do as much past paper as you can.
ellie276
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Revising maths is not an easy task as maths is a subject where you need to know quite little but be able to use and manipulate certain rules effectively. Past papers are the best way for me, but attempt the whole paper/ question before looking at a mark scheme as it is easy to think that you'd be able to do it without. The text book questions on each chapter are good. I like to make a summary flashcard with key rules for each chapter. Hope this helps
fluous
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Doing lots and lots of practice (past papers, topical questions/exercises).
GoofySchmoofy
Rep:
(Original post by ellie276)
Revising maths is not an easy task as maths is a subject where you need to know quite little but be able to use and manipulate certain rules effectively. Past papers are the best way for me, but attempt the whole paper/ question before looking at a mark scheme as it is easy to think that you'd be able to do it without. The text book questions on each chapter are good. I like to make a summary flashcard with key rules for each chapter. Hope this helps
Thanks Ellie. In school we did a bunch of past questions. In the June exam the format of the questions were so different. I now have to resit the mock to get a sensible regrade for uni applications. Predicted AA for other 2 and just need to sort out maths. I’m going to do loads of past questions over summer but need to figure out how to create notes/flash cards. You’re exactly right about applying a few rules…..
GoofySchmoofy
Rep:
(Original post by peteryoungy)
sme I also did bad. I got a D. I think just do as much past paper as you can.
Giving myself the same advice!!! I can do the maths in class but I cannot always figure out what I need to do in the for question. Also had meltdown in exam. Oh well, 8 weeks to resit. Do I even know what they’re asking!!!😔
peteryoungy
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes I am predicted A* A in my other subject but I need to seriously do lots EQs over the summer. I am in a bad situtation.
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You just need to do more past papers and try more advanced concepts. I did that in Physics as I used my gifted student course in the subject (was university credit bearing) as an advantage, and I stormed to the highest mark in the cohort in the real exam. Everyone thought that it was expected.

For Maths I mainly did past papers, and tried Solomon ones and IYGB ones. I think for IYGB ones, I will do five from A to R, then two from U to Z. S and T are too tough and I skipped them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (70)
67.96%
In the post (4)
3.88%
Text (14)
13.59%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (15)
14.56%

Watched Threads