rhu
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
any recommendations for good laptops for uni (that preferably aren't really really expensive lol)?
rosy_posy
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Microsoft Surface is what I use. It's lightweight, slim and portable
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I've recently covered this here: linky
And in the thread linked to in that thread.

Do not pay over £210.

Get a free laptop. EG from the IT Dept of a local company.
Or a laptop off ebay or facebook marketplace that's a fully working used premium business laptop. From HP, Dell or Lenovo. One that's at a competitive price compared to what else you can get for the same or less money.

There's good deals on sub £210 Dell Latitude 7390 & 7490. And HP 840 G5 & 830 G5.

Don't bother with consumer grade laptops. And don't buy new. Don't listen to all those laptop buying guides that come up when you do a google search.
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Depends on what you do for your degree, if you have a hobby that requires performance, and if you're rich or not.

If your degree is in any way related to a computation (see: Photography, Physics, Computer Science, etc etc) then you will need a fairly decent setup- depends on the degree.

If you game/etc, you will likely already know what you're looking for: depends on the game.

If you're rich: yeah.

If you're none of the above, and just want casual web browsing/flash games/Microsoft Word/Powerpoint/etc, then follow Dunnig Krugers advice and get a cheap used laptop.
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Do not spend too much. Make a set of brief summary notes. Check out various laptops online on their websites in order to find out some more relevant specification details. Travel to the actual shop in question here and try to discuss your own laptop requirements etc with the store employees as well.
Look at many old but useful reviews that are currently published online and then perhaps you can manage to make a informed decision on your laptop options. Good luck. Consider your own set of needs and wants before deciding on a laptop. Read the entire specification carefully.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.68%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (41)
25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.49%

Watched Threads