Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Someone I was talking to today told me they'd been facebook free for a week. They deactivated their account because they felt that they wanted to look back on his time as student and say that he did more than sit on facebook. He now calls people up when he wants to talk to them!
    I've always felt that I only participate in facebook because it keeps me in touch with what's going on, but it doesn't actually rule my life. But it's very easy to let it, isn't it? Especially when i'm in the middle of an essay I should be working on!!
    When he suggested that I give it up, I was attracted by the idea but I don't think if I'd be able to actually do it!! Why is this?? I'm only on it for about ten minutes a day. But to leave it completely??

So, has anyone done it? Or could anyone? Should we all go out instead?? What would we miss??

And why is this, for my friend, a life changing decision???
    Am interested to know what you think!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesstifer)
    a life changing decision???!
    You're kidding, right? You must be.

ReputationRep:
    No, it was taking over his life!! So he gave it up!! And now he is free..

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen the appeal of facebook. Isn't it just the internet equivilent of standing up in a crowded room and screaming 'LOOK AT MEEEEEEE, PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEEEE'?

(Original post by Jesstifer)
    Someone I was talking to today told me they'd been facebook free for a week. They deactivated their account because they felt that they wanted to look back on his time as student and say that he did more than sit on facebook. He now calls people up when he wants to talk to them!I've always felt that I only participate in facebook because it keeps me in touch with what's going on, but it doesn't actually rule my life. But it's very easy to let it, isn't it? Especially when i'm in the middle of an essay I should be working on!!
    When he suggested that I give it up, I was attracted by the idea but I don't think if I'd be able to actually do it!! Why is this?? I'm only on it for about ten minutes a day. But to leave it completely??

So, has anyone done it? Or could anyone? Should we all go out instead?? What would we miss??

And why is this, for my friend, a life changing decision???
    Am interested to know what you think!!
    thats actually a really cool idea

far too many friends far away at unis and travelling etc though. and how would you keep up with the relatinoship statuses sans fbook?

ReputationRep:
    Would never leave facebook. I have too many friends on there that I'm not close enough to ring up and start a small conversation or quickly ask them something. Its nice to stay in touch with people you hardly ever see.
    Plus it does keep you in the know and some good crack can be found on there.

ReputationRep:
    I know, that's what I thought - how would I actually keep in touch with anyone?
    No one uses email any more.
    But then it kind of is 'stand up and look at meeish.' And isn't the 'compare people' application a bit.. not 'immoral,' but not really a very nice thing to be doing..?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.