Dirty Room Given

Watch this thread
a-username
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I recently moved in to a studio room in one of the student halls in Glasgow. The room was dirty and not cleaned after the previous tenant left. I have complained twice and both the times the man comes and cleans the area I pointed out and I keep finding dirty areas.

Any advice on how I should deal with this? Its been two weeks now and it feels very hygienic. I feel like I deserve either an upgraded room or some sort of compensation.
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
That studio room must be massive if you've been in it for two weeks but are still "finding dirty areas".

Is there really that much left to clean? Could you not just clean it yourself?
PepiA
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Being able to clean it yourself isn't really the point, it shouldn't be up to a new tenant to clean up after the old. It depends on the cleanliness. Is it just scuff marks on the walls, some dust, scratches on the tables? Or is it full-on grime, stinky gross mess, food stuck to tables, hair in showers etc.? If it's the former then unfortunately that's just how most accommodation is. If it's the latter, it's definitely not up to you to clean yourself. There's a reason why most uni's will charge old tenants for any deep-cleaning they have to do after leaving the room. Can you check if this is true for your tenancy; you would be charged if you left the room in a state that required extensive cleaning?

Are there any pictures of the room online/did you view the same kind of room before moving in? If so, you have evidence of what level of cleanliness was advertised. Also, do a THOROUGH search of the room and take photographs of any dirt/mess that isn't your own. It's important to take photos of the dirt/mess that's not your own because over time you'll expect to make your own mess in the room and you don't want the halls blaming you for the other mess when you know you didn't make it.

Take these pictures and screenshots of the prior emails you've sent, and send one more email to the residential services. Make it very clear that this is the last time you're going to ask for the room to be cleaned in full, or else you'll expect some form of compensation for having to live in a dirty, unhygienic room which contrasts with the room advertised to you (i.e. the room you're PAYING for). If they're incapable of cleaning that room for whatever reason, they should provide you with an alternate form of accommodation of the same value, and renovate that old room so that they're able to clean it in future.

If you send this email, they promise to clean it again, and the cleaning is insufficient AGAIN, take photos again of the insufficient cleaning, send yet another email to the residences office, along with all the photos of the mess, photos of the advertised room, screenshots of prior emails, etc., and this time, CC in your personal tutor (if you have one), your student support officer (if you have one), and any member of your university who is responsible for student wellbeing, and make it very clear in the email that the unhygienic conditions of the room are negatively affecting you, your mental state, and thus your ability to sufficiently study. If present, point out that in your tenancy agreement, you're expected to leave the room in a sufficiently clean condition that doesn't require extensive cleaning, else you'd be charged. Thus it is expected that the room you're in should be in a sufficiently clean condition that doesn't require extensive cleaning; yet, it has. Make it clear that this isn't how the room was advertised and that despite cleaning three times, all attempts have been insufficient. Make it clear that you expect some form of compensation for the weeks that the room was left not as advertised, and for every week that the room continues to be not as advertised.
Last edited by PepiA; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (8)
33.33%
Take a gap year (5)
20.83%
Resit my exams (6)
25%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (3)
12.5%
I don't know yet (1)
4.17%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4.17%

Watched Threads