How much maths is there in an economics degree?

Watch this thread
Har6547
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

On the whole, how much maths is in an economics degree. I like maths (I'm doing maths at A-level, but not further), but I also want to look at the history of economics and different economists and theories. Is this still covered? Does it depend on what optional modules you take? Does it vary uni to uni? Any help appreciated.
isara8482
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
According to what my friends are saying who do maths with economics, there is quite a lot of maths in the first year and then most of it economics in second year. not really sure about third year tbh
leviswife
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You should definitely do Further Maths, people that do economics at university that also did further maths at A-Level say that the maths content of the first year at uni is more similar to further maths than to Regular maths. but that's just through word of mouth, don't take what I say as gospel, however, no a level is difficult, you can do all of further maths during a three month period if you wanted to, it's just we don't think we're capable.
BenRyan99
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Har6547)
Hi,

On the whole, how much maths is in an economics degree. I like maths (I'm doing maths at A-level, but not further), but I also want to look at the history of economics and different economists and theories. Is this still covered? Does it depend on what optional modules you take? Does it vary uni to uni? Any help appreciated.
The answer will naturally depend on the unis in question. Only LSE and Cambridge really require further maths if your school offers it, normal a-level maths is sufficient in every other BSc Economics course. Different unis offer different modules at different times so it's best to look at the module offerings at the unis you're interested in. The difficulty of the maths is often correlated with how strong of an Econ course it is.

But in my experience, most unis do somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of first year is maths/stats. Then depending on choices this stays about the same throughout the other years. Just because a module doesn't sound mathematical, doesn't mean it isn't
elktefoca
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Har6547)
Hi,

Basically, calculus (differentiation, integrals) and statistics, specially the last one, but there's not much algebra. If you plan to understand fully the economy, you should be able to test hypotesis about correlations between different variables, and that's what econometrics are used for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.68%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (41)
25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.49%

Watched Threads