Applied to Queen Mary Neuroscience, want to switch to Psychology

Watch this thread
GSCE student
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
as ive said in the title. i called someone and they said psych was full and the deadline for anything like that has closed. its the beginning of summer, what do i do?? i really dont want to do neuroscience. im considering clearing ofc. but also, is it possible to change unis altogether? apparently you can build rapport with someone from admissions at another uni and get a place? im thinking of psychology at UCL. (i know its a very popular course rip). any advice guys? Please and thank you!!!!!!
Theking997
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GSCE student)
as ive said in the title. i called someone and they said psych was full and the deadline for anything like that has closed. its the beginning of summer, what do i do?? i really dont want to do neuroscience. im considering clearing ofc. but also, is it possible to change unis altogether? apparently you can build rapport with someone from admissions at another uni and get a place? im thinking of psychology at UCL. (i know its a very popular course rip). any advice guys? Please and thank you!!!!!!
I believe all offers need to go through UCAS. Just email universities to ask, they may give you a better answer.
PepiA
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If you do want to stay at QM then sometimes they'll let you switch courses within the first few weeks if you discuss it with your tutor and the course managers (as someone at QM who knows people who've done this). But of course, you'd be entirely banking on them letting you switch, and on there being any places created on the psych course, which could put you out of money and student loan fees if they disagree. You can email admissions at different universities and ask too if they'd take you on, but if you didn't apply through UCAS at all they probably won't accept you. If you applied via UCAS to a different course but the same university, sometimes they would accept an exchange of course (if they've got space), especially if they already gave you an offer.

Worst comes to worst, you could just delay a year going to uni, spend time earning money, building skills, and preparing before dedicating several years of your life to study. I did this after not getting onto the course I wanted after college.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Ask QMUL again at the end of July and just before Results Day.
If the answer is still No, and you still want to do Psych, then consider cancelling your UCAS application this year and reapplying to 5 new choices next year. Psych courses at high-grade competitive Unis will not be in Clearing.

You may be able to pick up a middle-range Uni in Clearing but I never recommend Clearing to anyone - its hugely stressfull, you have no opprtunity to look at the Uni or think about if its right for you, and the drop-out rate from clearing places is high. Its far better to step-back, plan a gap-year and apply to 5 considered and thought-about choices in the autumn.
GSCE student
Rep:
(Original post by PepiA)
If you do want to stay at QM then sometimes they'll let you switch courses within the first few weeks if you discuss it with your tutor and the course managers (as someone at QM who knows people who've done this). But of course, you'd be entirely banking on them letting you switch, and on there being any places created on the psych course, which could put you out of money and student loan fees if they disagree. You can email admissions at different universities and ask too if they'd take you on, but if you didn't apply through UCAS at all they probably won't accept you. If you applied via UCAS to a different course but the same university, sometimes they would accept an exchange of course (if they've got space), especially if they already gave you an offer.

Worst comes to worst, you could just delay a year going to uni, spend time earning money, building skills, and preparing before dedicating several years of your life to study. I did this after not getting onto the course I wanted after college.
gap year i really cant do. i think out of the things youve said, the best looking option rn is stwtiching courses in the first few weeks. is there any way to improve my chances? like alrerady talking to admissions? idk i just really need to get out of this course
GSCE student
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
Ask QMUL again at the end of July and just before Results Day.
If the answer is still No, and you still want to do Psych, then consider cancelling your UCAS application this year and reapplying to 5 new choices next year. Psych courses at high-grade competitive Unis will not be in Clearing.

You may be able to pick up a middle-range Uni in Clearing but I never recommend Clearing to anyone - its hugely stressfull, you have no opprtunity to look at the Uni or think about if its right for you, and the drop-out rate from clearing places is high. Its far better to step-back, plan a gap-year and apply to 5 considered and thought-about choices in the autumn.
gap year is a no no :,))))))))) can i not just ask them like now? like keep on badgering them? or "applying" to another unis psych course outsdie of UCAS? also i dont think i will take just any psych course at a mid tier uni. so clearning isnt an option ig- like u said, spots at a high teir uni wont be available.
can i change in the first few weeks of neuroscince?
GSCE student
Rep:
is there a way to get a place to a diff uni outside of UCAS? like, contact their admissions, idk build rapoort or some ****. my firm is neuroscience at Queen Mary but i want a place at UCL psycology. or is that totally dumb and unrealistic? (esp consdiering how popukar psych is)
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
is there a way to get a place to a diff uni outside of UCAS? like, contact their admissions, idk build rapoort or some ****. my firm is neuroscience at Queen Mary but i want a place at UCL psycology. or is that totally dumb and unrealistic? (esp consdiering how popukar psych is)
Unrealistic to try this outside UCAS and "standard" processes as an ordinary undergrad applicant. There might be a v small chance of a place opening up during clearing, but I would expect a course like this at UCL to be heavily oversubscribed and unlikely to need to enter clearing. Admissions is a big team effort, you can't work the system by trying to schmooze one person.
Last edited by Mr Wednesday; 1 month ago
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
No you have to go through UCAS. Clearing will open on 5th July 2022 via UCAS so you will be able to see if psychology at ULC is available through clearing then. Also check to see if the course has a January 2023 intake, it could be worth applying for that if this is your dream course/uni.

Do you have an acceptance at ULC for a different course? If so, it may be possible to transfer. If this applies to you, contact the admissions team with your name, UCAS ID, date of birth, what you are accepted for now, and what you want to change it to and why. They may also require you to write a new personal statement.

If this is not the case, perhaps see what psychology courses are in clearing at other universities. Studying psychology will be similar no matter which university to go to, because it is regulated by the BPS (British Psychological Society) so there are key things to be taught.

I hope you find this useful.

- Rosie
GSCE student
Rep:
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
Unrealistic to try this outside UCAS and "standard" processes as an ordinary undergrad applicant. There might be a v small chance of a place opening up during clearing, but I would expect a course like this at UCL to be heavily oversubscribed and unlikely to need to enter clearing. Admissions is a big team effort, you can't work the system by trying to schmooze one person.
so bsaically no chance :,) and i highly doubt there will be a spot at clearnng. thank you. so im back to square 1- i want to get out of neuroscinec and transfer to psych at QM, same uni. i called them up, they said it was full + a deadline has passes. i really dont wanna do neuroscience. help plsss xx
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
so bsaically no chance :,) and i highly doubt there will be a spot at clearnng. thank you. so im back to square 1- i want to get out of neuroscinec and transfer to psych at QM, same uni. i called them up, they said it was full + a deadline has passes. i really dont wanna do neuroscience. help plsss xx
If you really don't want to do the course you are currently signed up for then one option is to take a year out rather than wasting a year of funding on something you don't like and won't finish.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Then ring ucas and ask to swap your replies (either to firm a different offer or to decline them all to use clearing)
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If they say no now then that’s not likely to change. It’s very unlikely that you will be allowed to switch in the first weeks of the course if they won’t agree to a switch now.

Basically the chance of getting a switch are higher the earlier you ask.

Did you have any other offers?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
69%
In the post (4)
4%
Text (13)
13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (14)
14%

Watched Threads