The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford without A* predicted in chosen subject

I'm looking to apply to history and politics and will probably be predicted A* in English lit, A in history and A in physics. At GCSE I got an 8 in history. Should I still bother applying?
Well, you have nothing to lose? You have the minimum A level grades and you can show aptitude via a high HAT score if you think that's achievable.
Original post by small daisy
I'm looking to apply to history and politics and will probably be predicted A* in English lit, A in history and A in physics. At GCSE I got an 8 in history. Should I still bother applying?

Yes its always worth applying. You get 5 choices in Ucas, and your history grade in GCSE is where it needs to be for Oxford. Oxford looks for 7's and above (medicine I think its different). Its not going to harm applying there. Just make sure you choose unis with a range of entrance grades and not all ones with A*'s
If they needed an A*, they would say so.
Reply 4
Original post by small daisy

While the entry requirements serve as motivation for students applying there as well as a benchmark, they have accepted a lot of students that fell slightly below that mark. An A as opposed to an A* is not bad. Apply. You never know what could happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending