English degree

Watch this thread
Msbrownie.xo
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m about to do an English degree in summer with a GDL law conversion after the three years of English. What should I do to prepare for my degree in summer? Like read more?
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Msbrownie.xo)
I’m about to do an English degree in summer with a GDL law conversion after the three years of English. What should I do to prepare for my degree in summer? Like read more?
Hi Msbrownie.xo,

I am a second year English student at the University of Southampton, so can offer you some tips on how to prepare for starting your English degree in September.

Before I started I made sure to really familiarise myself with the module outline, readings and assessment types for the first year. Being prepared and aware of what is to come is a really valuable way of reducing any anxiety you may feel around the course. Having a look at the reading lists allow you to know what texts you will be expected to read, and you can even get a head start if you see any that particularly interest you immediately. For example, I was required to read Emma in first year, and I decided to spend my summer reading the text and doing an online course on Jane Austen. Of course you will not have time to do this for every text but familiarising yourself with one you think you will particularly enjoy can be really helpful, and even if you do not end up studying that text (as module text changes are very possible) at least you will have read and looked into a piece of literature that you enjoy.

I did the online course on FutureLearn, which offers free courses. The one I did on Jane Austen was run and lead by academics from the University of Southampton, which I found to be a really invaluable introduction into the way English is taught at Southampton. In addition to this, some of my first year modules were taught by the same academics that were leading the online course, which was a really lovely way of carrying on the learning I had started the summer before going to Southampton. I was able to ask questions about the course and they were really thrilled to hear I had enjoyed it, so I would really recommend giving FutureLearn a go.

However, do not stress too much about this. You will be properly inducted into the university and taught, alongside your cohort, what academic life is like at university. You will be taught all of the skills you need to be successful and you will not be expected to be a master of these as soon as you arrive at uni. Remember to enjoy your summer and look forward to the exciting new journey you will go on when September arrives! I hope this helped! If you have anymore questions, please ask.

Jasmine (an Official University of Southampton Rep)
Last edited by Uni of Southampton Students; 2 weeks ago
Msbrownie.xo
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Uni of Southampton Students)
Hi Msbrownie.xo,

I am a second year English student at the University of Southampton, so can offer you some tips on how to prepare for starting your English degree in September.

Before I started I made sure to really familiarise myself with the module outline, readings and assessment types for the first year. Being prepared and aware of what is to come is a really valuable way of reducing any anxiety you may feel around the course. Having a look at the reading lists allow you to know what texts you will be expected to read, and you can even get a head start if you see any that particularly interest you immediately. For example, I was required to read Emma in first year, and I decided to spend my summer reading the text and doing an online course on Jane Austen. Of course you will not have time to do this for every text but familiarising yourself with one you think you will particularly enjoy can be really helpful, and even if you do not end up studying that text (As module text changes are very possible) at least you will have read and looked into a piece of literature that you enjoy.

I did the online course on FutureLearn, which offers free courses. The one I did on Jane Austen was run and lead by academics from the University of Southampton, which I found to be a really invaluable introduction into the way English is taught at Southampton. In addition to this, some of my first year modules were taught by the same academics that were leading the online course, which was a really lovely way of carrying on the learning I had started the summer before going to Southampton. I was able to ask questions about the course and they were really thrilled to hear I had enjoyed it, so I would really recommend giving FutureLearn a go.

However, do not stress too much about this. You will be properly inducted into the university and taught, alongside your cohort, what academic life is like at university. You will be taught all of the skills you need to be successful and you will not be expected to be a master of these as soon as you arrive at uni. Remember to enjoy your summer and look forward to the exciting new journey you will go on when September arrives! I hope this helped! If you have anymore questions, please ask.

Thank you so much Jasmine this was amazing help x
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Msbrownie.xo)
Thank you so much Jasmine this was amazing help x
Msbrownie.xo

You're welcome!

Last edited by Uni of Southampton Students; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (42)
28.77%
Take a gap year (23)
15.75%
Resit my exams (40)
27.4%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (19)
13.01%
I don't know yet (16)
10.96%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
4.11%

Watched Threads