Taking a module in its last year, or taking the replacement module in its first year?

Watch this thread
Dpandowen
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey I'm heading into stage three of my BSc Mathematics course. Two of the modules I had thought of taking were M373 - Optimisation, and MT365 - Graphs, networks and design. These are both about to run for the last time, and then be replaced next year.

I can't tell if it's better to take them both this year, as I know the modules will be established, with previous papers, and there won't be any potential first year with any new coursework being covered.

But on otherhand, there is a reason these modules are getting replaced. Should I wait until the modules get an update, with maybe more up to date coverage.

Anyone have any advice of if there is an advantage of taking it either way. Or does it just not matter much??
pmd_qwe
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dpandowen)
Hey I'm heading into stage three of my BSc Mathematics course. Two of the modules I had thought of taking were M373 - Optimisation, and MT365 - Graphs, networks and design. These are both about to run for the last time, and then be replaced next year.

I can't tell if it's better to take them both this year, as I know the modules will be established, with previous papers, and there won't be any potential first year with any new coursework being covered.

But on otherhand, there is a reason these modules are getting replaced. Should I wait until the modules get an update, with maybe more up to date coverage.

Anyone have any advice of if there is an advantage of taking it either way. Or does it just not matter much??
I've had a very poor experience taking first-run modules (TM256) and an excellent experience taking mature modules (MST124, M269). So for me that'd be an easy decision- take the long-established ones while you still can!
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I don't know much about the OU but if there's a wealth of resources and practice papers for these courses I'd do them instead of a new one, unless the new one was particularly appealing or a requirement for some further study you want to do
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Take what you're most interested in it.

Its pretty normal for modules to be updated/replaced every few years. Happens at some point along the way to almost every student to take a first time module and a last time module.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
32.79%
They're what I expected (19)
31.15%
They're worse than what I expected (22)
36.07%

Watched Threads