Uni of Huddersfield psychology HELP

Watch this thread
meemmeememme
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone. I have just completed my A levels and im confident that i wont be meeting the requirements needed for the uni i have got as my firm choice so I am planning to go through clearing just in case. I am hoping to study psychology at uni and was wondering if the uni of Huddersfield is a good uni for psychology. If anyone has studied there recently, I would love to hear your opinions of the experience there, the student support and the lectures. As well as this, how are the job prospects and is there any support for post graduation in finding jobs. Do they include work experience during the course and is there an option for abroad study?
Any info will be very much appreciated )))
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
You've packed quite a few questions into a short post; I'll try to answer those that I can.

You say, "I am planning to go through clearing just in case". I assume you mean that you're doing some research just in case you end-up in clearing, and not that you are opting to go through clearing? (You might get better grades than you expect, or your firm/insurance offers might be willing to accept the grades you do get.)

Huddersfield's "BSc (Hons) Psychology" has an 65% student satisfaction rating, which I guess isn't fantastic - but could be worse. You can find a load of similar data from the National Student Survey here, including some insight into "the student support and the lectures" which you mention.

Job prospects is a tricky one, as it depends on what your aspirations are. I assume you know that you can't be a practicing Psychologist with an undergraduate degree alone, and that you'll need a postgraduate qualification to do that? So if that the route you're planning on taking, the only two things you really need to worry about are (1) is the course accredited by the BPS and does it confer eligibility for Graduate Basis for Chartered membership of the BPS, and (2) does it allow you to gain relevant experience as part of the course itself? (These are both important for postgraduate study, although the relevant experience need not have been gained during your undergraduate degree, but can instead be gained afterwards.)

The answer to (1) is "Yes", and applies to several of their Psychology degrees. I can't find any indication on the course description page here that the answer to (2) is "Yes". So you might be on your own in terms or gaining relevant experience.

If you weren't thinking of becoming a practicing psychologist, then the BPS-accreditation is less relevant (although the course has it anyway). In that case, you might be considering of these graduate destinations (which I've lifted from this UCAS page):

1. Human health and social work
2. Education
3. Retail/administrative and support
4. Legal, social, and welfare professions
5. Business, HR, and finance
6. Marketing, PR, and sales

The Graduate Outcomes survey (available via the first link) shows that 85% of the 2019-2019 graduates who completed the survey "find their current work meaningful", although only 65% confirmed that "I am utilising what I learnt during my studies in my current work" and 70% that "My current work fits with my future plans."

Finally, I see no indication that study abroad is an option.

I realise that I haven't covered everything you asked about; hopefully someone else will be along shortly to fill in the gaps.
meemmeememme
Rep:
(Original post by DataVenia)
You've packed quite a few questions into a short post; I'll try to answer those that I can.

You say, "I am planning to go through clearing just in case". I assume you mean that you're doing some research just in case you end-up in clearing, and not that you are opting to go through clearing? (You might get better grades than you expect, or your firm/insurance offers might be willing to accept the grades you do get.)

Huddersfield's "BSc (Hons) Psychology" has an 65% student satisfaction rating, which I guess isn't fantastic - but could be worse. You can find a load of similar data from the National Student Survey here, including some insight into "the student support and the lectures" which you mention.

Job prospects is a tricky one, as it depends on what your aspirations are. I assume you know that you can't be a practicing Psychologist with an undergraduate degree alone, and that you'll need a postgraduate qualification to do that? So if that the route you're planning on taking, the only two things you really need to worry about are (1) is the course accredited by the BPS and does it confer eligibility for Graduate Basis for Chartered membership of the BPS, and (2) does it allow you to gain relevant experience as part of the course itself? (These are both important for postgraduate study, although the relevant experience need not have been gained during your undergraduate degree, but can instead be gained afterwards.)

The answer to (1) is "Yes", and applies to several of their Psychology degrees. I can't find any indication on the course description page here that the answer to (2) is "Yes". So you might be on your own in terms or gaining relevant experience.

If you weren't thinking of becoming a practicing psychologist, then the BPS-accreditation is less relevant (although the course has it anyway). In that case, you might be considering of these graduate destinations (which I've lifted from this UCAS page):

1. Human health and social work
2. Education
3. Retail/administrative and support
4. Legal, social, and welfare professions
5. Business, HR, and finance
6. Marketing, PR, and sales

The Graduate Outcomes survey (available via the first link) shows that 85% of the 2019-2019 graduates who completed the survey "find their current work meaningful", although only 65% confirmed that "I am utilising what I learnt during my studies in my current work" and 70% that "My current work fits with my future plans."

Finally, I see no indication that study abroad is an option.

I realise that I haven't covered everything you asked about; hopefully someone else will be along shortly to fill in the gaps.
Hi!!! Firstly, thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me yes I am doing research in the event that I may not be able to go to my firms nd insurance choices. I am actually looking to be a child psychotherapist in the future so I am aware I will have to do postgraduate study I was actually looking at Huddersfield and they involved a course which included counselling with psychology and the stats from their are so much higher so I think that would be a strong choice for me to consider. I have just looked at the links you have included and they do suggest they include work experience opportunities so that seems good as well!! Thanks so much for all your help, and i will continue doing my research with different universities!!!
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by meemmeememme)
I am actually looking to be a child psychotherapist in the future so I am aware I will have to do postgraduate study :)
Note that some parts of my answer (the stuff about BPS accreditation and Graduate Basis for Chartered membership) aren't really relevant to you if you're hoping to become a Psychotherapist - that stuff's only important if you're trying to become a Psychologist.

(If you're like me you'll be frustrated by the lack of a clear distinction between the different types of mental health professionals: e.g. counsellors, psychotherapists, psychiatrists and psychologists. I think this does a reasonable job of attempting to draw some distinctions between them.)
University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by meemmeememme)
Hi everyone. I have just completed my A levels and im confident that i wont be meeting the requirements needed for the uni i have got as my firm choice so I am planning to go through clearing just in case. I am hoping to study psychology at uni and was wondering if the uni of Huddersfield is a good uni for psychology. If anyone has studied there recently, I would love to hear your opinions of the experience there, the student support and the lectures. As well as this, how are the job prospects and is there any support for post graduation in finding jobs. Do they include work experience during the course and is there an option for abroad study?
Any info will be very much appreciated )))
Hi @meemmeememme

Congratulations on completing your A-Levels!

I have just completed my first year of undergraduate Psychology at the University of Huddersfield so I might be able to be of some help. Personally, I really enjoy studying Psychology at this university. I find that the content is very interesting, we’re given a lot of freedom to dive into particular areas we’re interested in and the lecturers provide recordings of each lecture on an online portal which allows us to go back and take extra notes on things we may have missed in the moment. Many lecturers in the university are happy to provide detailed feedback on assignments to help you improve and there is also plenty of opportunity to partake in studies and research across the course in order to get a taste of what you’ll be doing for your dissertation! This experience also allows you to add some experience to your CV and help you in the job market. The Careers and Employability services of the university are also happy to help when it comes to you searching for jobs or volunteering positions within the Psychology sector, so I’d say there is plenty of support in that regard. Unfortunately, there is no option for study abroad, but this wasn’t a ‘must’ for me so it is not something that I personally would consider a con, but if it is important for you then keep this in mind.

Good luck with your choice!

Estelle
First Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield
meemmeememme
Rep:
(Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep)
Hi @meemmeememme

Congratulations on completing your A-Levels!

I have just completed my first year of undergraduate Psychology at the University of Huddersfield so I might be able to be of some help. Personally, I really enjoy studying Psychology at this university. I find that the content is very interesting, we’re given a lot of freedom to dive into particular areas we’re interested in and the lecturers provide recordings of each lecture on an online portal which allows us to go back and take extra notes on things we may have missed in the moment. Many lecturers in the university are happy to provide detailed feedback on assignments to help you improve and there is also plenty of opportunity to partake in studies and research across the course in order to get a taste of what you’ll be doing for your dissertation! This experience also allows you to add some experience to your CV and help you in the job market. The Careers and Employability services of the university are also happy to help when it comes to you searching for jobs or volunteering positions within the Psychology sector, so I’d say there is plenty of support in that regard. Unfortunately, there is no option for study abroad, but this wasn’t a ‘must’ for me so it is not something that I personally would consider a con, but if it is important for you then keep this in mind.

Good luck with your choice!

Estelle
First Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield
Hi Estelle,
Thanks so much for replying it’s great to hear from someone whose actually been there! I was just wondering a few questions:
How are the people there? Are they friendly? Do you believe the quality of teaching is good as Huddersfield isn’t really known for its psychology department ? Thanks for your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
32.79%
They're what I expected (19)
31.15%
They're worse than what I expected (22)
36.07%

Watched Threads