Law Degree (A Level Combos)

Watch this thread
imtiaz6167
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Even though Law degrees allow any subject, I think its clear that English, History, Science and Maths are more favourable than others.
My GCSEs are quite average and I also did Foundation Science GCSE so this means Science is out of the box and Maths I dont ideally want to take because it isnt my strongest subject.

Ive decided to go ahead with Gov&Politics and Psychology and English Lit as my a level choices to go ahead with Law?
Is this suitable and the best?

Unfortunately for me I studied Geography GCSE so History A Level is out of the box unless I go to college (which isnt ideal for me), so I cant pick History (despite its well respected).

My school does 3 A Levels and 1 AS so i think I'd imagine i pick Geography as the AS or any reccomendations?

I have Geography and Sociology as my options for 4th A Level but i believe Geography is more respected, Sociology is a teenier bit easier for me but if its a minor amount, I think Geography is the better decision.

Id Like to add my school does an EPQ, which is a choice however we all have to do 4 A Levels at least until Christmas (you are forced to do 4 if you get Bs+ on all your subjects) or drop one if you get below Ds.

4 Alevels and EPQ surely is a stretch however im thinking of dropping 1 at AS and doing an EPQ? Which is the better idea?
Last edited by imtiaz6167; 1 month ago
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by imtiaz6167)
1) Even though Law degrees allow any subject, I think its clear that English, History, Science and Maths are more favourable than others.

2) 4 Alevels and EPQ surely is a stretch however im thinking of dropping 1 at AS and doing an EPQ? Which is the better idea?
1) There are NO preferred subjects for Law - Unis do not see any A level subjects as 'more favourable' than any others.
There is no secret info about this, nothing that that only 'special people' know - if the Uni states that there are no preferred subjects that IS what they mean. Yes, one essay-based subject is useful for skills, especially if you are taking LNAT, but it is NOT essential.

2) EPQs are a good thing to do IF you have the time/capacity. They give you experience of independant study etc and a 'beyond A leves' topic to discuss in your PS. But - not at the expense pf your A levels. If you think this will be too much, just stick with the A levels. No Uni 'requires' an EPQ - they just want 3 high grades. So choose 3 subjects which you will enjoy studying and where you feel confident of 3 A/A* grades.

Useful free short online course about Doing an EPQ here - https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/epq-success - worth doing over the summer to see if an E{Q is right for you.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I’d say politics is very handy, as public law is a compulsory topic.

Essay writing subjects are handy. But also whichever a Levels you would do best in is important..
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
As above, they're all fine. They don't care whether you do geography or sociology and do not "respect" one more than the other. Such notions don't exist in admissions.
wegetit
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Even though Law degrees allow any subject, I think its clear that English, History, Science and Maths are more favourable than others.
My GCSEs are quite average and I also did Foundation Science GCSE so this means Science is out of the box and Maths I dont ideally want to take because it isnt my strongest subject.

Ive decided to go ahead with Gov&Politics and Psychology and English Lit as my a level choices to go ahead with Law?
Is this suitable and the best?

Unfortunately for me I studied Geography GCSE so History A Level is out of the box unless I go to college (which isnt ideal for me), so I cant pick History (despite its well respected).

My school does 3 A Levels and 1 AS so i think I'd imagine i pick Geography as the AS or any reccomendations?

I have Geography and Sociology as my options for 4th A Level but i believe Geography is more respected, Sociology is a teenier bit easier for me but if its a minor amount, I think Geography is the better decision.

Id Like to add my school does an EPQ, which is a choice however we all have to do 4 A Levels at least until Christmas (you are forced to do 4 if you get Bs+ on all your subjects) or drop one if you get below Ds.

4 Alevels and EPQ surely is a stretch however im thinking of dropping 1 at AS and doing an EPQ? Which is the better idea?
I would recommend taking AS Geography. It's mostly the same as GSCE Geography, with a few more key terms and ideas.
What level of university are you thinking of applying to? Some will provide lower offers for doing an EPQ.

If they don't provide lower offers (quite a lot of higher universities), taking an AS level or an EPQ will have a similar effect. You can organise time well, you have a large range of interests. EPQ would be better if you want to get a taste of what Law is like or any other professions you are thinking of in the future.
imtiaz6167
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by wegetit)
I would recommend taking AS Geography. It's mostly the same as GSCE Geography, with a few more key terms and ideas.
What level of university are you thinking of applying to? Some will provide lower offers for doing an EPQ.

If they don't provide lower offers (quite a lot of higher universities), taking an AS level or an EPQ will have a similar effect. You can organise time well, you have a large range of interests. EPQ would be better if you want to get a taste of what Law is like or any other professions you are thinking of in the future.
Thanks so much. After having a taster day at my sixth form, I'd had a change of heart and decide to go to a sixth form college instead. (My sixth form i planned which would have been a continuation from secondary is very strict and demands 4 a levels and an EPQ - you drop the 4th a level if you get below D's but the EPQ stays compulsory with 8:30am starts and strict formal wear and not allowed to leave the building until they finish at 4:30pm)(aswell as the detentions and its a bit far from me, ive decided its a nono and the English Lit teacher is quite rude and crap))

So now I have to pick 3 A Levels with no EPQ and I think Politics, English Lit and Geography is the better idea. I don't know if OCR and AQA had different teachings for Psychology but it was extremely boring at my taster day and I enjoyed Geography, English and Politics a lot more.
Sociology isn't something very persuable in the future in my opinion, even if its very easy and can have links with human geography, english lit and politics already.

Also I plan to go to a Russel Group university, or one thats just as decent. Not leaning onto Oxbridge but kind of like Warwick as I heard its good for Law or UCL

What'd you think?
Last edited by imtiaz6167; 3 weeks ago
wegetit
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Sounds good!
My friends take AQA Psychology, and it seems to be quite boring other than a few topics which may be interesting, like criminal psychology.
Geography is safe because it's so broad, and you can basically use it to your advantage to study any subject.

I'd say put UCL in as your higher choice since the name is more known.
Good luck!
Thanks so much. After having a taster day at my sixth form, I'd had a change of heart and decide to go to a sixth form college instead. (My sixth form i planned which would have been a continuation from secondary is very strict and demands 4 a levels and an EPQ - you drop the 4th a level if you get below D's but the EPQ stays compulsory with 8:30am starts and strict formal wear and not allowed to leave the building until they finish at 4:30pm)(aswell as the detentions and its a bit far from me, ive decided its a nono and the English Lit teacher is quite rude and crap))

So now I have to pick 3 A Levels with no EPQ and I think Politics, English Lit and Geography is the better idea. I don't know if OCR and AQA had different teachings for Psychology but it was extremely boring at my taster day and I enjoyed Geography, English and Politics a lot more.
Sociology isn't something very persuable in the future in my opinion, even if its very easy and can have links with human geography, english lit and politics already.

Also I plan to go to a Russel Group university, or one thats just as decent. Not leaning onto Oxbridge but kind of like Warwick as I heard its good for Law or UCL

What'd you think?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
69.7%
In the post (3)
3.03%
Text (13)
13.13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (14)
14.14%

Watched Threads