The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Official Imperial College 2023 Undergraduate Applicants Thread

Welcome to the discussion thread for undergraduate applicants to Imperial College for 2023 entry. Chat with other applicants, see who's getting offers etc.

If you are applying for postgraduate courses, click here for the 2022/23 thread.

Here's a template to get discussion going:

1 - What course are you thinking of applying for?
2 - What A-levels (or equivalent) are you taking?
3 - Are you sitting an admissions test for your course?
4 - Why Imperial?
5 - What other unis are you interested in applying for?

To search for posts within the thread (e.g. to see if anyone's had an interview/offer for a course), click the three dots to the right of the page counter:

A tracking form has been created so that others may more easily see when responses are being allocated. Do not share any identifiable information on this form. Remember that the responses to this form only represent a small subset of applicants.

Note: The forms and documents in this thread are not managed or operated by The Student Room, and are set up by members of the community. Please do take this into account when entering your details into this form. All data you share is at your own risk. If you have any questions, please come and talk to the mods in Ask The Community Staff.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/help/staying-safe-on-the-student-room

Enter the form here: https://forms.gle/FjYDVWTJxreUWecW7
View the results here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vGqvcphvMx54-5U67fTz-yGCiFbMX91Qk5tFFPIYQ7s/edit?usp=sharing
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you want your entry changed on the spreadsheet, submit a new entry

FAQs:

"When will I hear back??!" A: When the uni feels like it. Be prepared to wait months and months; Imperial takes a long time.

"It's been <x amount of time> since I applied and I've heard nothing. Am I rejected?" A: No.

"Someone who applied after me has received an offer and I'm still waiting. Am I rejected?" A: No. This happens all the time and it doesn't really have any bearing on your chances.

"I only sent my application off in January, am I at a disadvantage?" A: No. The admissions staff have been doing this for years, they know to pace themselves when handing out offers.

"I'm taking a gap year/reapplying, am I at a disadvantage?" A: Most cases, no. If applying for maths then do try to keep your brain stimulated though.

"I didn't take further maths and I'm applying for <some mathsy course>. Am I at a disadvantage?" A: Hard to say. If it's because your school didn't offer further maths then definitely not (as long as your reference makes it clear).

"Am I going to receive a higher offer if my predicted grades are above the requirement?" A: No. Although for some courses, the typical offer is higher than the stated minimum requirement.

"What extracurriculars do I need?" A: It really doesn't matter. As long as you can clearly show in your personal statement why you want to study the course and how you have shown your interest in it outside the classroom.

A couple other things:

Do not use the anonymous function unless your post contains sensitive information. Most of the accounts posting on these kinds of threads are brand-new; you're anonymous anyway.

Do not post specific details about your interviews that could benefit other applicants

For undergraduate admissions statistics for all courses from the past 5 UCAS cycles, click here, scroll down and download the spreadsheet.

I'm a current physics undergraduate, so feel free to ask me questions about the course or anything more general, but don't expect me to know the minds of the admissions staff.

Beware of group chats set up by advertisers trying to sell club tickets and wristbands. There may be fake students in there, and they may steal your contact info and spam you.

Posting links to group chats/Discord servers is not allowed; your post will be removed

(edited 1 year ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
1. Joints Maths and Computing
2. Maths, Further Maths, Physics A level and Computing AS level
3. No. Think they do an online test.
4. It’s ranking for Maths & Computing, the course, it being in London.
5. Oxford, Kings, UCL, Warwick.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
2023 will also see the first students in two new undergrad course: BSc Biomedical Technology Ventures and BSc Economics, Finance & Data Science. Seems like Imperial is slowly broadening its undergraduate offering.
I'm thinking about applying to both math&cs and computing(AI and ML), does anyone know that will ICL give out different or same online admission test and interviews for courses in the same department(both cs)? I 'm worrying that they will combine the chances and once I fail in one test I'll be rejected for both course application:colonhash:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by silviwdwd
I'm thinking about applying to both math&cs and computing(AI and ML), does anyone know that will ICL give out different or same online admission test and interviews for courses in the same department(both cs)? I 'm worrying that they will combine the chances and once I fail in one test I'll be rejected for both course application:colonhash:

Admissions for both those courses are run by the department of computing so you should only apply to one of them. Might be possible to switch between them, though
okay thx!
Original post by Sinnoh
Admissions for both those courses are run by the department of computing so you should only apply to one of them. Might be possible to switch between them, though
Reply 7
:bump:
pretty quiet here...
Reply 8
1 - What course are you thinking of applying for? - biochemistry, biological sciences, medical biosciences (having a hard time deciding which course!!)

2 - What A-levels (or equivalent) are you taking? - Biology, Maths, Chemistry, EPQ
3 - Are you sitting an admissions test for your course? - no admissions tests
4 - Why Imperial? - London uni, Imperial is also world-known for leading scientific research and its courses are all focused on the sciences. After attending the imperial summer school, i fell in love with its vibe and all the undergrad students were super welcoming and helpful.
5 - What other unis are you interested in applying for? - UCL, KCL, Bath, Bristol, Exeter
Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Meng)

Further maths, maths, physics

An IOT test

4 - Why Imperial?
Central london uni. Amazing for engineering. Loved the uni and facilities on their open day!

UCL, QMUL, Southampton , Durham
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 10
1) Hoping to apply for physics
2) Taking physics, chemistry, maths and further maths at A-level
3)I am sitting an admissions test
4)Why imperial? I would love a London uni, I know some people who go there and love it, the quality of research is really high, I still need to go to an open day to really confirm if I want to apply there
5)other unis: Cambridge, st Andrews, Bath, Manchester, Edinburgh
Reply 11
Application season has officially opened... going to bump this again!
1 - What course are you thinking of applying for? Economics,Finanace and Data Science
2 - What A-levels (or equivalent) are you taking? Math/F.Math/Economics (A*AA achieved)
3 - Are you sitting an admissions test for your course? No
4 - Why Imperial? Dream uni/London
5 - What other unis are you interested in applying for? LSE,UCL,KCL
1) Medicine
2) A Level Biology, Chemistry, Maths
3) BMAT
4) Like the atmosphere of the university
5) UCL, Barts, St George's, King's College
1. Design Engineering
2. Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry (wish I took Art instead of chem)
3. Nope
4. Like the course modules and way of assessing/teaching the course. Also amazing for engineering with great facilities.
5. Bath, Bristol, Warwick and maybe Cambridge.
1. Biochemistry
2. Maths, Biology and Chemistry
3. No
4. Course structure seems nice, and I like that Imperial guarantee you an interview if you wanna do a year in industry
5. UCL, Bath (NatSci), Oxford, and maybe Southampton or Leeds
Chemical Engineering (Meng)

SQA Advanced Higher Maths, Chemistry, Biology

Nope, but if I do get selected then I'll have to do an interview

4 - Why Imperial?
Love the location and heard about its reputation for engineering. Really interested in their Chemical with Nuclear Engineering program

Cambridge, UCL, Edinburgh
1 - What course are you thinking of applying for? - Physics
2 - What A-levels (or equivalent) are you taking? - IB Diploma
3 - Are you sitting an admissions test for your course? - Looks like I have to
4 - Why Imperial? - they seem to be good
5 - What other unis are you interested in applying for? - Cambridge, St Andrews, Manchester, UCL
I’ve heard that Imperial may also use the results of the MAT test that we need to sit for Oxford.
Is that true? And do we still need to do the online test?
Reply 19
Original post by GreenStar7
I’ve heard that Imperial may also use the results of the MAT test that we need to sit for Oxford.
Is that true? And do we still need to do the online test?

If you're applying to maths, yes, if computing or JMC, no

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending