Turn on thread page Beta

How often to do chin ups? watch

ReputationRep:
    Im trying to improve at pull ups/chin ups but am a little confused cause I usually do them twice a week. I do one set until muscle failure and then another set until failure after 2 minutes rest. I do this twice a week and usually manage 7/8 in the first set and 5/6 in the second. Thing is though Ive not done them for 2 weeks and have been constantly telling myself I'l have to do some as the muscles will be wasting or whatever you call it but Ive just done some and managed 9 quite easily. I don't understand this because after 2 weeks of no exersise I was expecting to have to build myself up again:confused: Maybe I should just do them once a week rather than twice? It seems the less I do the better I am.

ReputationRep:
    Greasing the Groove (GTG): http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/69/

Read and digest.

ReputationRep:
    Good article (Y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Greasing the Groove (GTG): http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/69/

Read and digest.
    Thanks, Ive read that before but Ive always assumed (and read) that intense less frequent workouts are best so its quite interesting, confusing though.

ReputationRep:
    I do 3 sets of 10-12 every time I use the gym (3 times a week) - as part of my warmup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicmint)
    Thanks, Ive read that before but Ive always assumed (and read) that intense less frequent workouts are best so its quite interesting, confusing though.
    Both work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lampshade)
    I do 3 sets of 10-12 every time I use the gym (3 times a week) - as part of my warmup.
    Serious? That's quite a heavy going warmup.

ReputationRep:
    My PB is 12 :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    Serious? That's quite a heavy going warmup.
    Yeah. It's part of the crossfit standard warm-up.

Not that I'm fit enough for full blown crossfit at the moment, just building my strength and health back up after being ill.

ReputationRep:
    I do them bare timez n dat.

ReputationRep:
    If you can do 8, you can start adding weight.

If you can only do 6 on the second set, rest more get.

wow strong rhyming.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.