The Student Room Group

How can I get a Contextual Offer

I want to get a contextual offer.

I am in a school which is well below average according to the gov website.

I am the first one to attend uni.

My parents didn't go uni let alone graduate from school.

My parents barely speak english.

My parents work in the market so they don't have any qualification.
(edited 1 year ago)
any ideas ?
Wow. You waited a while 15 minutes before bumping your own thread (which I was busy replying to). Sorry, but that's just rude. I'm out.
Original post by DataVenia
Wow. You waited a while 15 minutes before bumping your own thread (which I was busy replying to). Sorry, but that's just rude. I'm out.

Perhaps they needed a swift reply? But yes I was also writing a reply when that happened. I'll pass on answering now.
Sorry but I am in a stressful position. I dont know anyone who is now a lot of uni application expereince. I dont know nothing so need to feed myself info.
Original post by peteryoungy
I want to get a contextual offer.

I am in a school which is well below average according to the gov website.

I am the first one to attend uni.

My parents didn't go uni let alone graduate from school.

My parents barely speak english.

My parents work in the market so they don't have any qualification.

Unis have different rules about who qualifies for contextual offers. You need to do some research.
Sorry but I am in a stressful position. I dont know anyone who is now a lot of uni application expereince. I dont know nothing so need to feed myself info.

You cannot just get a contextual offer. You have to meet contextual conditions. These vary from university to university. If you meet the university's contextual conditions it is automatically picked up from your ucas application.

The most common conditions are you have been in care, lived in area with poor progression rates or go to a poorly performing school whose A level results were in the bottom 40% the previous year. You will need to check with the university concerned which flags they require for contextual admissions. Bristol has quite a good section showing what contextual flags they use. Others arent as clear and you would need to ring the university for advice.
Thanks then I will need to search up for contextual offers. Also I am from Afghanistan. It's a country with war still this date. Would it have an influence ?
Thanks then I will need to search up for contextual offers. Also I am from Afghanistan. It's a country with war still this date. Would it have an influence ?

No, I'm not aware of any uni that uses that as a criteria. You may be eligible for some kind of sanctuary scholarship however. have a look at your target unis funding pages.
Original post by Admit-One
No, I'm not aware of any uni that uses that as a criteria. You may be eligible for some kind of sanctuary scholarship however. have a look at your target unis funding pages.

Warwick is now including refugees. It is new and appears to be the only one but who knows.

https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/contextual-offers/#collapseFive
FWIW you don't apply for contextual offers, it's something that will be applied automatically if they give you an offer and you meet their criteria. It will usually involve a reduction of one or two grades off your offer. (but might be more) If you're an applicant to maths (specific case I might as well mention), the requirement to sit an entrance test like MAT/TMUA/STEP may be waived.

There might be funds you can access due to your circumstances but this won't involve a reduced offer.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by swanseajack1
Warwick is now including refugees. It is new and appears to be the only one but who knows.

https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/contextual-offers/#collapseFive

Interesting! Thank you, that's the first I've heard of. In that case definitely worth checking the contextual pages of other unis but not likely to be widespread.
Original post by Admit-One
Interesting! Thank you, that's the first I've heard of. In that case definitely worth checking the contextual pages of other unis but not likely to be widespread.

Santuary Scholarshps are available at many top Unis - including Bristol and Bath - but they ae only for those with formal 'refugee status',
Just 'being from Afghanistan' may not qualify.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending