How should I select my UNI ?

Watch this thread
peteryoungy
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Do I focus on the complete university guide or do I do I look at everything.

My friend who did 4 A Levels chose to go to LSBU. He got AAAA.

Not exactly sure why there must be a reason.

Just need to know how I should select my uni.
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by peteryoungy)

Hi there.

It may be worth looking into specific universities' course entry requirements, course teaching styles and facilities and student satisfaction stats to help make your decision. You could also look into the location and accommodation too.

Hope this helps.
Best wishes.
peteryoungy
Rep:
My friend lives in London and went to a uni in London. Just wanted the experience. He likes cricket so that one reason and how do I do those research. It needs some deep research. The complete guide do I use that
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Their a a few factors:
- which universities offer the course you want
- which ones are geographically good
-which offer good academics & good exit prospects (both within a specific field and on a general level) suitable for you - to determine this I recommend a kind of consensus bu discussion, speaking to as many students/graduates as possible to kind of figure out what universities are respected in your field
- don’t split hairs over minor reputation differences
- don’t focus on overtly minor factors (i.e. how new one accomodation block is…)
- then look at large / small university
- city
- cost of living
- transport

Go with your gut!
peteryoungy
Rep:
A lot of my friends just look at the complete guide and think that they should go to the most prestigious unis.

I agree that some such as LSE and oxbridge are great but not all russell group unis.

Does anyone know how I can do a very deep research on unis.
AliceKS
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
A lot of my friends just look at the complete guide and think that they should go to the most prestigious unis.

I agree that some such as LSE and oxbridge are great but not all russell group unis.

Does anyone know how I can do a very deep research on unis.
Google lol all the info is out there just look for it eg. if you're interested in a specific sport and want to see if they have a society for it, look for x university student union website and there will be a list of societies
(obvs this is a very minute example and probs not something you should be thinking about as a major factor unless you're Emma raducanu lol)

do bear in mind that you're not going to get very far at uni if you're not proactive and motivated as no one will be there to spoon-feed you when to do your work and when to wake so you don't miss your lectures
Last edited by AliceKS; 1 month ago
peteryoungy
Rep:
idk any graduates on accounting and finance so not sure what I can do. Do you know how i can speak to some.
mnot
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
idk any graduates on accounting and finance so not sure what I can do. Do you know how i can speak to some.
On here, at open days...
peteryoungy
Rep:
do i need to go to open days but I would like to know honest truth not student convincing me to come to the uni
mnot
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
do i need to go to open days but I would like to know honest truth not student convincing me to come to the uni
You don’t need to go, and of course it’s good to be aware the people their are being paid, but generally if you ask a student for their honest thoughts with specific questions, you will get decent answers. They are worthwhile imo, maybe try to narrow down your potential universities a bit so you can target a manageable portfolio of universities with open day vists.
Orwell84
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

I would look at a few factors

- Look at what other universities offer; specifically to your course, as some offer different modules
- Look at accommodation
- Consider Cost and Transport to campus (most accommodations you can walk to your campus or you could commute from home if uni is more local)
- Chose a university you want to go to and not what peers/family might say

Hope this helps.

Good Luck
peteryoungy
Rep:
I am in a sticky situation.

I am predicted A* A C.

I need to make sure that with this barrier I chose the best uni. These are my consideration:

University of Roehampton
Greenwich University
University of Westminsiter
Middlessex University

Which one should I choose ?
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I am in a sticky situation.

I am predicted A* A C.

I need to make sure that with this barrier I chose the best uni. These are my consideration:

University of Roehampton
Greenwich University
University of Westminsiter
Middlessex University

Which one should I choose ?
None of them yet. Do you know how the application system works? How many choices you make etc?
peteryoungy
Rep:
I am going to be applying this winter
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I am going to be applying this winter
Who are you replying to?
LSBU Enquiries
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Hi peteryoungy - thanks for the post!

Going to University is a big decisions and there are a number of things we recommend you think about when making your decision to go University.

1. Be sure about the course you wish to study (confirm entry requirements etc)
2. Visiting Open Days and possibly taking someone's with you who's opinion you value
3. Attend taster sessions (where possible)
4. Approach career advisors

Hope that helps!

Thamena - LSBU Team
peteryoungy
Rep:
(Original post by LSBU Enquiries)
Hi peteryoungy - thanks for the post!

Going to University is a big decisions and there are a number of things we recommend you think about when making your decision to go University.

1. Be sure about the course you wish to study (confirm entry requirements etc)
2. Visiting Open Days and possibly taking someone's with you who's opinion you value
3. Attend taster sessions (where possible)
4. Approach career advisors

Hope that helps!

Thamena - LSBU Team
Thanks. Do you know any career advisors. Need some advise onto what uni I should choose.
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thanks. Do you know any career advisors. Need some advise onto what uni I should choose.
What you actually need to do is a) learn how the university application system works, b) research individual universities, and c) get your maths grade up.
peteryoungy
Rep:
Yes I should start on my PS as well as improving on maths. I have got all the past papers collected so I need to EQs like hell in order to boost my grade.
Once I got my grade uni selection will be easy. I initially wanted to study accounting at SOAS so if I get the grades. It's all done.
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes I should start on my PS as well as improving on maths. I have got all the past papers collected so I need to EQs like hell in order to boost my grade.
Once I got my grade uni selection will be easy. I initially wanted to study accounting at SOAS so if I get the grades. It's all done.
Not necessarily. Even if your predicted grades meet or exceed any uni's entrance requirements they could still reject you.

Are you aware that you have 5 choices and have until January 25th to make them?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (42)
28.77%
Take a gap year (23)
15.75%
Resit my exams (40)
27.4%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (19)
13.01%
I don't know yet (16)
10.96%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
4.11%

Watched Threads