A history of pay rates

Watch this thread
ChillBear
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The PDA has written a detailed history of pharmacist rates, really good article to see what they used to be and how depressing the trend was from the mid 2000's until now. Take into account inflation during this period and why many a pharmacist were upset.

https://imgur.com/a/rctqJCR
Attached files
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ChillBear)
The PDA has written a detailed history of pharmacist rates, really good article to see what they used to be and how depressing the trend was from the mid 2000's until now. Take into account inflation during this period and why many a pharmacist were upset.

Very very interesting, :ta: for sharing.
mrlittlebigman
Badges: 12
Report 1 month ago

Chill,
I would take these with a pinch of salt, I think some of these might be rates that were the max.

I actually worked for PPLS from 1995 to 2000, and my recollections are quite different.
1995, was £12.50, certainly in the Midlands, I still have old PJs with the ads in!

I then switched to TeamLocum in 2000, and didn't hit £23 until 2008.
I still have the 2008 tariff list! Effective 2nd June 2008 Standard Mon to Fri 9am til 7pm £23

There is a section called 'Special rates' : market forces apply, Mon to Fri up to a maximum of £32 ; Saturday up to max of £35 is what it states.

Whether these two companies had different tariffs for the big cities, less if easier to cover; and then much better rates for hard to cover rural areas, I don't know.

I did read it this morning thinking..... "I've been done....I never got those rates!"
ChillBear
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
They do seem a bit higher than the average rate here. Probably best to take them with a pinch of salt. I remember back in the late 2000's early 2010's when I was still a counter assistant regular locums I worked with were complaining of the rates going down and not being given a choice in the matter.
mrlittlebigman
Report 4 weeks ago
They do seem a bit higher than the average rate here. Probably best to take them with a pinch of salt. I remember back in the late 2000's early 2010's when I was still a counter assistant regular locums I worked with were complaining of the rates going down and not being given a choice in the matter.
Yes, and after about 2000, PPLS seemed to fall off the radar and we had Team Locum based in Birmingham that seemed to dominate the market for the next decade at least. I always wondered what happened to PPLS, and it says Mark sold it in 2003, possibly because the sky high rates stated were not what the multiples were prepared to pay!?

I have all my wage/salary history still stored (on paper obvs, being a Gen X'er!) so can check the rate I was paid in any year right back to 1994. My pre-reg salary was £9062 in 1994 with The Shoe Shop!
So as the Royal family said re: Megs " recollections may differ ", as I certainly never earned those rates in the graph.
Last edited by mrlittlebigman; 4 weeks ago
mrlittlebigman
Report 4 weeks ago
Chills,
What do you and your GP surgery think about this scheme?
From my side of the fence it seems like more work for little reward! (to the pharmacist/locum)
https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk...ter-incentives

The last referral from 111 I had a couple of weeks ago was for an emergency supply......of pregabalin (schedule 3 CD).
mrlittlebigman
Report 4 weeks ago
This is a good article with some of the pros and cons of pharmacy at the moment:
https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk...ivide-with-GPs

Any thoughts, anyone?
( I hate that C&D closed down their comments section, seeing what others thought or were thinking was really helpful and now it's gone and no idea why?!)
ChillBear
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mrlittlebigman)
Chills,
What do you and your GP surgery think about this scheme?
From my side of the fence it seems like more work for little reward! (to the pharmacist/locum)
https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk...ter-incentives

The last referral from 111 I had a couple of weeks ago was for an emergency supply......of pregabalin (schedule 3 CD).
Can't say I done any CPCS in community myself as I only very rarely locum these days!

But my PCN isn't doing CPCS. We've taken full advantage of all the new HCPs in GP so referring to pharmacy is redundant, it also carries worse quality of care and I don't think many pharmacies are set up locally for it. There is a partnership near us who was put into special measures a few years ago and they've gone ahead with CPCS (go figure).

Ha, I've had similar 111 referrals as well for wildly inappropriate requests. Unfortunately, there's a bit of disconnect between the brains of CPCS and the legs making it happen.
mrlittlebigman
Report 4 weeks ago
Can't say I done any CPCS in community myself as I only very rarely locum these days!

But my PCN isn't doing CPCS. We've taken full advantage of all the new HCPs in GP so referring to pharmacy is redundant, it also carries worse quality of care and I don't think many pharmacies are set up locally for it. There is a partnership near us who was put into special measures a few years ago and they've gone ahead with CPCS (go figure).

Ha, I've had similar 111 referrals as well for wildly inappropriate requests. Unfortunately, there's a bit of disconnect between the brains of CPCS and the legs making it happen.
Yes, I think as pharmacists now, especially the young, inexperienced, just talk to a patient at the counter, and then tell them
" maybe you should see your GP " This is a very big comment on any article in somewhere like MailOnline on any article about pharmacists doing more!
The general consensus seems to be that we may be easier to talk to, and pleasant enough, but then absolutely bl00dy useless at helping anyone!

This is why I still think that being an IP from day 1 from summer 2026/27 whenever it starts, isn't going to make much difference as new pharmacists seem very reluctant to actually do anything! And the ones that could, like yourself Chillz, go off and find something a bit more challenging to do!
Can I ask......for those who have recently qualified .....do your lecturers actively encourage you to refer to the GP? There seems to be a general reluctance to sell anything, or even do an emergency supply ?!?
mrlittlebigman
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mrlittlebigman)
Yes, I think as pharmacists now, especially the young, inexperienced, just talk to a patient at the counter, and then tell them
" maybe you should see your GP " This is a very big comment on any article in somewhere like MailOnline on any article about pharmacists doing more!
The general consensus seems to be that we may be easier to talk to, and pleasant enough, but then absolutely bl00dy useless at helping anyone!

This is why I still think that being an IP from day 1 from summer 2026/27 whenever it starts, isn't going to make much difference as new pharmacists seem very reluctant to actually do anything! And the ones that could, like yourself Chillz, go off and find something a bit more challenging to do!
Can I ask......for those who have recently qualified .....do your lecturers actively encourage you to refer to the GP? There seems to be a general reluctance to sell anything, or even do an emergency supply ?!?
My emphasis in bold.
Any feedback from newly qualified or pre-regs ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
69.7%
In the post (3)
3.03%
Text (13)
13.13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (14)
14.14%

Watched Threads