Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Im 17 and will be turning 18 by the time i want to drive a motorbike.
    I don't want to drive a moped but a proper motorbike. What steps and tests will i have to take to be able to drive a bike?How long will this take roughly, and what kind of bike would i be able to drive at the end of it (i.e what kind of bhp and perhaps if you know some examples)

Thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    You need to do a CBT, then full test which limits you to 33bhp for 2 years, after which you can ride anything

I did the intensive course in a week, passed first time and brought a 400cc bandit and restricted it. I would suggest getting a bigger bike such as a bandit, sv650, gs500 and limiting it, rather than a small one and then buying a new one, but thats me.

or you can get a small ybr125, or rs125, something like that

have a look and see what insurance is like for you

ReputationRep:
    so the intensive course took a week, and they supplied you with , im guessing, a 125cc bike. And then after you passed, you bought the bike you wanted, and restriced it to 33bhp?

what do you mean a small one and then a new one? do you consider an rs125 small?

ReputationRep:
    The intensive course for me, in surrey cost £500 included 5 days bike hire, CBT on the monday, 9-6 training on 3 days, then the test on the friday.

Once i'd done that i looked around for a bike i liked (400cc bandit on ebay) then got my dad to drive it to a garage so they could restrict it (as he had a license and wasnt likely to crash it)

With my bf he got a bike that was 250cc and 32bhp so didnt need to restrict it, talya got a 125cc, so didnt restrict it, and her bf is on a 250cc i think and is not restricted
    at my training place i could also use their equipment inclided in the fee, but i already had my own.

Small i consider anything as a 250cc or below, but thats as im used to being around 600cc and bigger.

ReputationRep:
    An RS125 being a 2storke and in full power could be around the 33bhp mark.

There are plently bikes which are near the 33bhp mark or you could have a bigger bike restricted. I would opt for the first myself.

Alternativly you can ride a 125cc around with just a CBT and L plates.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...est/DG_4022723

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=381399

ReputationRep:
    Nah don't just do a CBT!!

I did my training + test at the same place Bathwiggle did. In fact, 4 of us did used them and 3 passed first time, the other failed because he is a muppet and passed 2nd time (2 weeks later with no further training).

I got 125cc because all I am doing is commuting a few miles a day in town. But if you want to ride longer distances you are going to at least need a 400cc+

It took me a few extra lessons before I had the balls to take my test so I would say it cost me £600 for lessons. They would provide helmets, gloves, etc but I bought my own as wearing someone elses icky gloves and boots? Nah thanks!!

Cost:

My lessons; 600
    Brand new YBR: 1799
    TPFT insurance: 250 breakdown included

Errr, that's it, cost of helmets + accessories is irrelvant as I spent quite a lot on my helmet but you can get them as low as £30 in sales.

ReputationRep:
    helmet i'm on my second one as i wanted a new one, both have cost 45£, my current one was reduced from £150, jacket was £50, gloves £50 - you must wear gloves, there are so many idiots without and just think what will hit the floor first if you come off, and protective trousers for £20

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.