Not.Azn
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i have a level 2 btec in electrical engineering and a 90 credit level 3 in electrical engineering, would i be able to try for uni or would i have to go through a foundation year (if i'm eligible for that)
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Not.Azn)
i have a level 2 btec in electrical engineering and a 90 credit level 3 in electrical engineering, would i be able to try for uni or would i have to go through a foundation year (if i'm eligible for that)
What is the full name of the "90 credit level 3 in electrical engineering"? Did you take it recently?

I ask as there used to be a qualification called the "Pearson BTEC Level 3 90-credit Diploma", but that appears to have been available for "Engineering" rather then "Electrical Engineering". They also used to offer BTEC Nationals in "Electrical/Electronic Engineering", but I can't see one which was worth 90 credits. Perhaps your Level 3 qualification isn't a BTEC at all?

Universities tend to specify their requirements based upon the specific type of qualification, rather than just based upon the fact that it's a "90 credit level 3" qualification. They'll provide the grade requirements (for example) for "BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (RQF)" or for "Access to HE Diploma" or for "International Baccalaureate Diploma".

So we need to know what the qualification actually is to be able to establish whether it's acceptable, and to establish its UCAS Tariff points.
Not.Azn
Rep:
it says on the certificate “BEC level 3 90-credit diploma in engineering(QCF) with the double pass pass”
Not.Azn
Rep:
im not sure if it’s enough to get into a foundation course in uni
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
it says on the certificate “BEC level 3 90-credit diploma in engineering(QCF) with the double pass pass”
I thought that might be the course, but the fact that your first post said "in electrical engineering" threw me. Also, the whole Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF) was replaced by the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) a few years ago, which is why I asked "Did you take it recently?".

In case you're interested, the specification for your qualification is here and you can find its details on the Ofqual site here.

im not sure if it’s enough to get into a foundation course in uni
It might be. According to the UCAS Tariff Calculator here, a "Pearson BTEC 90-Credit Diploma (QCF)", at grade PP (pass pass) is worth 24 points.

So we're going to have to search for courses that will accept 24 points. Presumably you're looking for an Electrical Engineering course? You can get a list of Electrical Engineering courses on UCAS here. If you click the yellow circle which shows the entry requirements, you can ask it to show the UCAS Tariff. You're looking for a low number (there aren't many), but not necessarily 24. Look-up some of the details of the 32-point options and I think you might be surprised. (I don't mean look them up on UCAS - I'd always recommend checking the university's own web site). For example:

BEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Including Foundation Year) at University of South Wales:
"Typical BTEC Offer: BTEC Extended Diploma Pass Pass Pass or BTEC Diploma Pass Pass"
(Note that they're probably not talking about the 90-Credit Diploma here, but it's close and certainly worth contact them about)
See https://www.southwales.ac.uk/courses...undation-year/

Electrical and Electronic Engineering (with Foundation Year) BEng (Hons) at Teeside University
"Any combination of recognised Level 3 qualifications. Each application is considered on a case-by-case basis. We look for evidence of your ability to learn and commitment to succeed in your studies."
Their general Entry Requirements page here says, "For entry onto an undergraduate degree programme with an integrated foundation year, you would normally need a pass in at least one A level, or equivalent level 3 qualifications." Guess how many UCAS points "a pass in at least one A level" gets you? 16 points. So you exceed the entry requirement here!
See https://www.tees.ac.uk/undergraduate...tion_year).cfm

Obviously I don't know exactly what you're looking for (either in terms of the course or the university) so there's little point in me continuing the search. There's not a lot out there which you'd qualify for - but there is some (as evidenced above). It just might take a bit of tenacity to find it.

Good luck.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You won’t get into the first year of degree with that you might be able to get into a degree with a foundation year or maybe into a HND which would enable you to enter the first or second year of a BEng (first year foundation,second year HND.). The HND will also allow yo on to a 3rd year top up to a BSC. Most HND’s however are done at local partner colleges which means no freshers week or accommodation or anything like that if you choose that route and can find one on campus go for it but personally I’d do the foundation year to get all the uni benefits.
Last edited by jonathanemptage; 1 month ago
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
For reference:

Old QCF BTEC Level 3 qualifications
- Certificate (graded P, M, D, D*) = 0.5 x A level
- Subsidiary Diploma (graded P, M, D, D*) = 1.0 x A level
- 90-credit Diploma (graded from PP to D*D*) = 1.5 x A levels
- Diploma (graded from PP to D*D*) = 2.0 x A levels
- Extended Diploma (graded from PPP to D*D*D*) = 3.0 x A levels
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.19%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.22%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (70)
54.69%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.91%

Watched Threads