The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Applying for Hertfordshire Games Art course without art/design a-levels.

Hey there! I've just finished my exams and I'm taking a gap year. I plan on applying for September 2023, so in the meantime I'll be learning as much as I can so I can put together a portfolio for the application process. However, I'm under the impression that I need the relevant qualifications before I'm even considered for review.

Is a FAD or foundation year necessary ? What are you thoughts ? Any advice is greatly appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 1
Hi! I realise this is somewhat late for a reply, but I hope I can help nonetheless!

I'm currently a student on the course, about to start third year. I believe the formal requirements for the course are A Levels/Btec/FAD/etc., but I do know of people on the course who don't have relevant qualifications who got onto the course on portfolio alone. I would send an email to either course leader (Daniel Goodbrey, or Martin Bowman, whose emails can be found under the key staff tab on this page) to ask them about it, as I believe they need to be aware of your unique circumstances prior to you submitting your UCAS application so it all goes through correctly.

As you're probably already aware, portfolio is the priority! Generally, figure drawing, perspective drawing and showing experience with 3D software is the stuff they like to see most in portfolios!
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by maxkml
Hi! I realise this is somewhat late for a reply, but I hope I can help nonetheless!

I'm currently a student on the course, about to start third year. I believe the formal requirements for the course are A Levels/Btec/FAD/etc., but I do know of people on the course who don't have relevant qualifications who got onto the course on portfolio alone. I would send an email to either course leader (Daniel Goodbrey, or Martin Bowman, whose emails can be found under the key staff tab on this page) to ask them about it, as I believe they need to be aware of your unique circumstances prior to you submitting your UCAS application so it all goes through correctly.

As you're probably already aware, portfolio is the priority! Generally, figure drawing, perspective drawing and showing experience with 3D software is the stuff they like to see most in portfolios!

Hey there and thanks for the reply! Better late than never right :biggrin: I sent Martin an email maybe 2 months ago and he advised on the same things + directed me to the 3Dhit site. I've since been working on a portfolio and honestly I'd say I'm 30% done, so fingers crossed by the end I put together enough to impress.

Is there any chance you have any successful portfolio examples? I'm aware of the competition and would like to know what makes a winning portfolio. If not then no worries. Again, thanks for the advice. Wish you luck on your future projects too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest