The Student Room Group

where can i buy a cheap suit?

i have been invited to a black tie event in a few days but i dont have any suits. anyone know where i can get a decent suit on a budget?`

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
M&S
Original post by Sinnoh
M&S

still a bit pricey im very broke
Reply 3
Original post by quartzite_
still a bit pricey im very broke

How much are you willing to pay? Is there nowhere you can rent a suit from?
Asos?
Original post by Sinnoh
How much are you willing to pay? Is there nowhere you can rent a suit from?

i think ill spend £75 max on the whole thing; id rather buy one so that i have one for future events
Reply 6
i think ill spend £75 max on the whole thing; id rather buy one so that i have one for future events

You can definitely get a suit there for £75
Original post by rosy_posy
Asos?

ive just been told about this and its really soon so i dont trust online shopping to arrive on time (im 99% sure asos is exclusively online). its also an important event so i want to be able to try on and stuff before i buy just in case
Original post by Sinnoh
You can definitely get a suit there for £75

oh okay ill have a look in person because i looked online and all the blazers were like £60+
oh okay ill have a look in person because i looked online and all the blazers were like £60+

Tesco used to have suits - lots of our students used to get them from there.
Original post by Muttley79
Tesco used to have suits - lots of our students used to get them from there.

i live in london and i have never seen a tesco with a clothing section :/
ive just been told about this and its really soon so i dont trust online shopping to arrive on time (im 99% sure asos is exclusively online). its also an important event so i want to be able to try on and stuff before i buy just in case

Asos is exclusively online. You can get next-day delivery but you have to pay £5.95

https://www.tesco.com/store-locator/

add a filter for F&F clothing - it shows some in London, but maybe none with suits.

What about a chairty shop - I'm female but have picked up some great work clothing [we have to wear smart stuff]
Original post by Muttley79
https://www.tesco.com/store-locator/

add a filter for F&F clothing - it shows some in London, but maybe none with suits.

What about a chairty shop - I'm female but have picked up some great work clothing [we have to wear smart stuff]

was defo thinking charity shop. probably my best bet

oh actually thats pretty much perfect will just need to buy a white shirt and tie. thanks

When you say black-tie, do you mean tux/dinner jacket with bow tie?

Have you had a look in some charity shops on the off chance? You can always get it dry cleaned.

Do you have Matalan anywhere around London? They used to do suits for around 80.

Does Moss Bross or equivalent still exist? You can normally rent a tux/dinner jacket if it's black tie event. But you will probably pay the same to hire as you would to buy a cheap suit.

If you're going to buy because you'll be going to many events that are 'black-tie' it might be worth trying to get a bit of money together, and invest in something good quality that will last a few years.

Hope this helps a bit?!

Below info borrowed from M.Bros website (hope they don't mind as you may be a future customer!)
HOW TO STYLE A TUXEDO THE CLASSIC WAY
For black-tie invitations, you’ve got a dress code to follow. This actually makes styling your tux pretty easy if you want to follow the rules.

The classic partner to your tux is a white dress shirt it can have either white or black buttons, and will sometimes be pleated down the front. Choose a classic collar, saving wing collars for white-tie, and remember your cufflinks because your shirt will probably have double cuffs too.

Then, add a bow tie (learn how to tie yours here). Play it safe with black or let it be the talking point of your outfit with something bigger or brighter. Finish off your accessories with a white pocket square in a flat fold or in a neat ruffle. You can wear a cummerbund if you want to but it’s not necessary.

Finally, choose a pair of dress shoes in black leather or patent, and give them a good polish the night before.

HOW TO DO BLACK TIE YOUR OWN WAY
Rules are good and all, but we think the best looks exist outside the dress code. Try a trending velvet jacket in a jewel shade (or something even brighter). How about flipping the monochrome palette with a white dinner jacket worn over a black shirt? Something more relaxed more your style? A fine woollen rollneck looks just as refined as a shirt and bow-tie, but is all about comfort
M&S, Slaters (if you have one nearby - and they do free alterations), Matalan, Next

It's going to be expensive wherever you go - but it's not like you will buy it once then chuck it away.
I used Slater's Menswear last time I was caught out and got a full suit for £100 plus £15 cheap loafers elsewhere (I'm biased as near their Glasgow flagship store, but they have others + quick online service, their 'free alterations' take weeks tho)
Original post by mrlittlebigman
When you say black-tie, do you mean tux/dinner jacket with bow tie?

Have you had a look in some charity shops on the off chance? You can always get it dry cleaned.

Do you have Matalan anywhere around London? They used to do suits for around 80.

Does Moss Bross or equivalent still exist? You can normally rent a tux/dinner jacket if it's black tie event. But you will probably pay the same to hire as you would to buy a cheap suit.

If you're going to buy because you'll be going to many events that are 'black-tie' it might be worth trying to get a bit of money together, and invest in something good quality that will last a few years.

Hope this helps a bit?!

Below info borrowed from M.Bros website (hope they don't mind as you may be a future customer!)
HOW TO STYLE A TUXEDO THE CLASSIC WAY
For black-tie invitations, you’ve got a dress code to follow. This actually makes styling your tux pretty easy if you want to follow the rules.

The classic partner to your tux is a white dress shirt it can have either white or black buttons, and will sometimes be pleated down the front. Choose a classic collar, saving wing collars for white-tie, and remember your cufflinks because your shirt will probably have double cuffs too.

Then, add a bow tie (learn how to tie yours here). Play it safe with black or let it be the talking point of your outfit with something bigger or brighter. Finish off your accessories with a white pocket square in a flat fold or in a neat ruffle. You can wear a cummerbund if you want to but it’s not necessary.

Finally, choose a pair of dress shoes in black leather or patent, and give them a good polish the night before.

HOW TO DO BLACK TIE YOUR OWN WAY
Rules are good and all, but we think the best looks exist outside the dress code. Try a trending velvet jacket in a jewel shade (or something even brighter). How about flipping the monochrome palette with a white dinner jacket worn over a black shirt? Something more relaxed more your style? A fine woollen rollneck looks just as refined as a shirt and bow-tie, but is all about comfort

ahhh brilliant thank you v much! i will defo go to matalan, but if all else fails will probably just rent one

Quick Reply

Latest