The Student Room Group

Are these A levels a good choice

So i want to go to oxbridge to study medicine and im not sure whether to do chemistry, biology, psychology and maths or chem,bio,psych or chem,bio,maths bc i dont know how much more work 4 a levels is gonna be can anyone give their opinion
thank you so much i didnt realise there was a thread im new here sorry about that i also wasnt aware abt cambridge needing 3 but good to know that solidified maths chem bio and further maths for me
Taker of too many A-levels here.

As ecolier already said, 4 subjects can end up being worse for you academically, resulting in being negative in such a situation. However, if you are unsure as to which combination to take, I would personally recommend starting with all 4 for at least 2-6 weeks, after which you can drop either psychology or mathematics, as it seems you aren't sure which of the two you would prefer. You could even keep both if you decide you want to.

It may also be worth while to find someone who takes both Maths and Psychology and ask them about the subjects compared to each other, and have a look at the specifications (i.e. what will be taught) to get a better idea of which you may prefer or perform better at.

TSR is relatively anti 4+ a-levels unless the 4th is Further Mathematics, which is fair when the additional could bring you down and the "negatives" (university and employer wise) outweigh the positives, for most people. You know yourself best and whether you are most people.

I have never taken 3 A-levels so I can't help with how much 4 A-levels worth of work is compared to 3, but 5 A-levels worth compared to 4 is barely a difference in my personal experience, largely due to my 5th being Further Mathematics and sciences having naturally a lot of crossover points. Biology and Chemistry have an okay/decent amount of cross-over, and a lot of Chemistry is Mathematic ability and Algebraic manipulation, so being good at this is helpful (less so Maths at A-level, as you are only expected to know GCSE level maths). If you took Additional Maths at GCSE, that + Physics pretty much covers all of first year A-level Mathematics (dependent on specifications). I don't know anything about Psychology so can't help there.

I would not recommend taking 4 A-levels to completion if you can not score at least A*A*A*A, personally. Likewise for 5, would not recommend unless at least A*A*A*A*A. I'm a believer in no evidence is better than negative evidence. This includes A*A*AA, because this might suggest that dropping the fourth could've gotten you A*A*A*. If you fancy a subject's content, in terms of finding it interesting, remember that you can always self-teach it to yourself by looking at the specification online and using online resources, it's not a good idea to sit an exam for a subject that you think you'll do poorly on, even if you enjoy it. But that doesn't mean you can't learn the subject still.
Reply 4
Original post by funkydiamond_
So i want to go to oxbridge to study medicine and im not sure whether to do chemistry, biology, psychology and maths or chem,bio,psych or chem,bio,maths bc i dont know how much more work 4 a levels is gonna be can anyone give their opinion

4 A-Levels, 3 being Sciences would be a LOT of work, but I've seen people do it and if you are an extremely hardworking person, you should be just fine. As for the choices, Pyschology A-Level is notoriously difficult, and contains scientific and mathematical elements. And also note, only Biology and Chemistry are needed for the study of Medicine. My advice to you would be to do Bio, Chem and an A-Level you both enjoy and are good at. That way you can maximise your chances of getting into Oxbridge. Wishing you all the best!

Quick Reply