Could I apply for an American passport?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I was born in Arizona but moved over to England when I was very young. I am 19 now and wondering if I could get an American passport but keep my British one as well and what would the benefits be?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I think America has birthright laws so well worth looking into. Not sure if you need to apply by a certain age though.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I was born in Arizona but moved over to England when I was very young. I am 19 now and wondering if I could get an American passport but keep my British one as well and what would the benefits be?
If you were born in the US you can certainly apply for (and 99% will get...) a passport. You can have both a UK and US passport- Boris Johnson does, exactly the same way (he was born there). The main advantage is that you can move, live and work there anytime. The disadvantage might be taxes needing to be filed over there as well.
Mohammed_80
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
You still qualify as an American citizen though even though you moved to England and technically are of British Citizenship so there’s no reason why you cannot apply for a passport of the country of your birth?
ry7xsfa
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If you were born in the US you can certainly apply for (and 99% will get...) a passport. You can have both a UK and US passport- Boris Johnson does, exactly the same way (he was born there). The main advantage is that you can move, live and work there anytime. The disadvantage might be taxes needing to be filed over there as well.
Boris Johnson actually gave up his US citizenship because of taxes.
HazeGray
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Bingo - the US taxes worldwide income, not just income earned in the US. There are some threshold levels on the income, but definitely think twice about the potential financial impact on you.
(Original post by ry7xsfa)
Boris Johnson actually gave up his US citizenship because of taxes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
70.41%
In the post (3)
3.06%
Text (13)
13.27%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (13)
13.27%

Watched Threads