Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    first today, seval months after i intendeed to really enjoyed it, still having trouble remembering how to switch gears without thinking about it (particulary to third!) and driving straight but still great way to whizz through an hour and a half

ReputationRep:
    My very first we went to a very dersited road to drive a bit i was so nervious I don't think I went over 10mph

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    just hold the weel lightly and you will go streight

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Going into a carpark, being shown what is what, then going onto a main road and doing a roundabout. I salute my instructor in having confidence with me, but boy was that a lesson and a half.

ReputationRep:
    I got taken to an industrial estate where I'd praticed before and just learned how to stop and start. I got driven there and driven back home but from about the 3rd lesson onwards I was driving for the full hour.
    I think the fastest I drove was about 30mph and that felt so fast back then lol. I'd already been out a few times with my grandad, so I was pretty confident about the gears and clutch. I've never had a problem with either!

ReputationRep:
    Amazing and scary. Instructor looked at my documents, then spoke to me about the cockpit check for a bit. Then he took me to Green Lanes in Harringay, which is a bloody scary place to be, especially when you're driving on main roads for the first time ever. After lots of practise and learning, he let me drive home (that same day).

Considering a lot of people's instructors didn't let them on the road for the first lesson, or drive home, or took them on quiet roads, I am very thankful that my instructor threw me in the deep end. 26 hours in, I've booked my test for July :-)

I've come very far since the beginning! I used to do so many silly things and be very nervous. Now, I am a pretty confident driver. I am a bit fast, though

ReputationRep:
    Had my first lesson in x years and must say wowee. I really wanna drive! I even drive back home.

ReputationRep:
    My first lesson was actually off the public road. My instructor does a young driver thing every so often where if you're over 14, you can actually learn the basics of clutch and car control in a secure area. Basically he hires out a football stadium car park for the day and you can learn there - usually it's fully booked! That meant that by the time I was on the road, I progressed quite quickly and moved onto busier roads quicker than other learners typically would since I already had got used to the car and controls.

ReputationRep:
    A couple of miles away is a really wide road. He drove me there then let me drive. To start with I stayed on that road, practicing changing up to second and turning in the road (he doesn't have a tiny car but it can still do a u-turn without using reverse). After I'd done that about three times I practiced going into the surrounding roads. On my first junction we couldn't see anything coming so I turned. Only to find a car and a motorbike storming along the road. It was a tight squeeze because there were cars parked on either side of the road. I drove in a loop round part of the village and some of the countryside around it. The maximum speed limit was 40 and I did 35 at most and was nearly pooping myself !

ReputationRep:
    where is this industrial estate ?

ReputationRep:
    My first drive was fine. I started in a subdivision (had no advice from my instructor), switched drivers so the other person could drive in a subdivision, switched back to me so we could go on the main roads. I got to drive for about an hour on the main roads (the whole time the instructor talked about poker, books, and Japanese history with the person in the back). The instructor only mentioned twice to stay off the white line so I need to work on that. The other person road over a curb and never used turn signals. At the end the instructor told me I need to control the car better but said nothing to the other person. I feel the instructor hates me or just shows favoritism to the other person. (Not to mention concentrating is hard when people are arguing about history and favorite authors.) I would rather drive with my dad because at least I would have gotten to take a break...

ReputationRep:
    I had my first time in the drivers seat with my dad and spent most of the time trying to make it move.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelle1231999)
    My first drive was fine. I started in a subdivision (had no advice from my instructor), switched drivers so the other person could drive in a subdivision, switched back to me so we could go on the main roads. I got to drive for about an hour on the main roads (the whole time the instructor talked about poker, books, and Japanese history with the person in the back). The instructor only mentioned twice to stay off the white line so I need to work on that. The other person road over a curb and never used turn signals. At the end the instructor told me I need to control the car better but said nothing to the other person. I feel the instructor hates me or just shows favoritism to the other person. (Not to mention concentrating is hard when people are arguing about history and favorite authors.) I would rather drive with my dad because at least I would have gotten to take a break...
    I think it's quite bad that they are teaching you with someone else. It should be one on one tuition. How much are you paying? There are some instructors that take the mick and charge the same amount as they would if they were teaching you alone, but that time involves picking up someone else and teaching someone else as well (so essentially you are both paying for each other), meanwhile the instructor is paid £40-50 for one hour to 'teach' two people at once. Plus it doesn't sound like the instructor is giving you their full attention which is essential to progress. Btw are you sure this instructor is actually qualified to teach? Surely the instructor should say something to you or the other person if things are not being done correctly and advise you on what to do better.

My advice: Change driving instructor and check that you are being instructed alone. You should be able to pay £20-25 for one-on-one tuition.

ReputationRep:
    Did the cockpit drill, steering practise, pedals and stuff like that for about 20 mins on an industrial estate. Then, he told me to drive on to the next town which I thought was out of my reach but it just came naturally I suppose :P 60mph in 5th on your first lesson isn't too bad, eh?! My instructor is great
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    My partner teaches me since he's over 21 and had his license for over 3 yrs. I'll be going to a professional instructor once I'm pretty much used to all aspects of driving and nearly ready to sit my practical.

My first lesson with him was actually good. I was expecting us to argue a lot through it as he's a perfectionist and I don't take well to criticisms but we got on great. I first practiced down at the beach in an empty car park at night. We stayed there for about 2 hours and that first night we focused on gears, breaking and parking. When to change gear and what to do with the clutch was my biggest struggle. I stalled a lot, that annoyed me though it was obviously to be expected. I've been learning for over a month now and had more lessons and I'm doing good I would say, he maybe wouldn't though I'm sitting my theory test in just over a fortnight as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Absolute nightmare I was so scared I'd crash I barley went more than 10mph. Then later on once I felt comfortable going a normal speed He got me to speed up to 50mph in a 30 limit then made me take a round about at 50 at which point I fired him and got a new one who was very very good.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I've just booked my first driving lesson with a professional instructor! Nervous is an understatement! My bf will still be teaching me on the side as well though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I've got my first lesson with an instructor tonight. I'm nervous as hell!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    I've got my first lesson with an instructor tonight. I'm nervous as hell!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You'll be fine! I was nervous as hell on my first lesson but I think that's because I had never driven before. You have over a month of practice already so you'll soon settle in. It'll be like meeting a new person, nervous at first but okay once you get to know each other a little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopefulMidwife)
    Amazing and scary. Instructor looked at my documents, then spoke to me about the cockpit check for a bit. Then he took me to Green Lanes in Harringay, which is a bloody scary place to be, especially when you're driving on main roads for the first time ever. After lots of practise and learning, he let me drive home (that same day).

Considering a lot of people's instructors didn't let them on the road for the first lesson, or drive home, or took them on quiet roads, I am very thankful that my instructor threw me in the deep end. 26 hours in, I've booked my test for July :-)

I've come very far since the beginning! I used to do so many silly things and be very nervous. Now, I am a pretty confident driver. I am a bit fast, though

I failed my test for being too fast

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.