A level retake

Watch this thread
Squiggles1238
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello,

I'm presuming the answer is no, but thought I'd ask anyways;

I'm expecting that in my A level results, one A level won't go as planned, so I want to retake it. Is it possible to obtain a predicted grade for this re-sit and apply to university in this upcoming cycle? Or would I have to wait to resit the A level and get the results before applying?
bea_murray0
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Squiggles1238)
Hello,

I'm presuming the answer is no, but thought I'd ask anyways;

I'm expecting that in my A level results, one A level won't go as planned, so I want to retake it. Is it possible to obtain a predicted grade for this re-sit and apply to university in this upcoming cycle? Or would I have to wait to resit the A level and get the results before applying?
Yes you can get a predicted grade and apply this coming cycle for 2023 entry. Your old school can provide the predicted grade or you can nominate a tutor, or just apply without predicted grades (your grades would just be 'pending')
Squiggles1238
Rep:
(Original post by bea_murray0)
Yes you can get a predicted grade and apply this coming cycle for 2023 entry. Your old school can provide the predicted grade or you can nominate a tutor, or just apply without predicted grades (your grades would just be 'pending')
thank you for replying!
I didn't even know that was a thing people could do!
Not sure you'd be able to answer this as I guess it's a individual thing, but my grades for the first half of the year were straight A's, but my mental health really declined and I ended up dropping in grades, so my pattern was something like AAAAB, and then a U in my second mock (you can tell when I started struggling!) and then a C; would it still be a possibility for me to be predicted an A for the resit (even if my results in august say a C or a D), if I explained the whole situation to me teacher? I know I'm more than capable of an A
bea_murray0
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
thank you for replying!
I didn't even know that was a thing people could do!
Not sure you'd be able to answer this as I guess it's a individual thing, but my grades for the first half of the year were straight A's, but my mental health really declined and I ended up dropping in grades, so my pattern was something like AAAAB, and then a U in my second mock (you can tell when I started struggling!) and then a C; would it still be a possibility for me to be predicted an A for the resit (even if my results in august say a C or a D), if I explained the whole situation to me teacher? I know I'm more than capable of an A
That depends on your teacher. Did you discuss extenuating circumstances for A levels with your school? I think it's too late once you've sat the exams but your school might still be able to help or might offer more leniency because of your situation. Your teacher will probably want evidence that you can improve again to an A grade and it won't be a repeat of last year (although obviously it's not your fault), so maybe come up with a plan of how you're going to improve next year (maybe including what you can do about your mental health, I suggest seeing your GP about it if you haven't already, they might just want reassurance that you're getting any help you need) and it would be worth discussing with your school/teacher how they can support you. Best of luck with it all and I hope your results are better than you expect!
Squiggles1238
Rep:
That depends on your teacher. Did you discuss extenuating circumstances for A levels with your school? I think it's too late once you've sat the exams but your school might still be able to help or might offer more leniency because of your situation. Your teacher will probably want evidence that you can improve again to an A grade and it won't be a repeat of last year (although obviously it's not your fault), so maybe come up with a plan of how you're going to improve next year (maybe including what you can do about your mental health, I suggest seeing your GP about it if you haven't already, they might just want reassurance that you're getting any help you need) and it would be worth discussing with your school/teacher how they can support you. Best of luck with it all and I hope your results are better than you expect!
I really did try on the special consideration-side-of-it, but they refused to put in an application for me as it was deemed to be a long-term condition. My tutor knows of my situation and what's been going on, and I've finally gotten help from my GP, so it's all moving i the right direction. Are you able to expand further on what you mean by extenuating circumstances, as I'm not 100% sure how this differs from special consideration?

Thank you very much!
Squiggles1238
Rep:
bea_murray0 also, sorry to be a pain, but how would applying like this work? I'm assuming that I would have to declare the grade I got in the 2022 sitting of the A level, but they would also see a prediction? Would the application state that it is a prediction of a resit, so that the original grade and the prediction could be differentiated?
bea_murray0
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I really did try on the special consideration-side-of-it, but they refused to put in an application for me as it was deemed to be a long-term condition. My tutor knows of my situation and what's been going on, and I've finally gotten help from my GP, so it's all moving i the right direction. Are you able to expand further on what you mean by extenuating circumstances, as I'm not 100% sure how this differs from special consideration?

Thank you very much!
Ok, sounds like you've sorted what you need to, I don't know a while lot about extenuating circumstances/special consideration, I thought there was some type of consideration for long-term things but I assume your school know better than me!
bea_murray0
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
bea_murray0 also, sorry to be a pain, but how would applying like this work? I'm assuming that I would have to declare the grade I got in the 2022 sitting of the A level, but they would also see a prediction? Would the application state that it is a prediction of a resit, so that the original grade and the prediction could be differentiated?
Yes, you have to declare all grades, and they would see the prediction if you have one, if not just that it's pending. They should be able to differentiate between the prediction and achieved grade because the prediction will be marked as pending I think.
Squiggles1238
Rep:
Ok, sounds like you've sorted what you need to, I don't know a while lot about extenuating circumstances/special consideration, I thought there was some type of consideration for long-term things but I assume your school know better than me!
I think extenuating circumstances is more to do with part of applying to university, in which a person mentions any circumstances that may have affected their grades, although I'm not too sure

Yes, you have to declare all grades, and they would see the prediction if you have one, if not just that it's pending. They should be able to differentiate between the prediction and achieved grade because the prediction will be marked as pending I think.
How could one apply with a grade that just says pending? Surely I'd only get rejected as I wouldn't meet the entry requirements due to a grade being unknown?

Thank you for all the help by the way
bea_murray0
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I think extenuating circumstances is more to do with part of applying to university, in which a person mentions any circumstances that may have affected their grades, although I'm not too sure

How could one apply with a grade that just says pending? Surely I'd only get rejected as I wouldn't meet the entry requirements due to a grade being unknown?

Thank you for all the help by the way
Yeah idk about the extenuating/special circumstances, I thought they were interchangeable or at least could be used in the same context but apparently not!
People do apply without predicted grades, you're not the first and you won't be the last! I don't know the exact details of how it works but I assume unis can make a fair guess at your grade from your GCSEs and maybe even your first sitting grade. It might depend on the uni and course, so maybe worth emailing about that but ideally get your old school to give predictions or if you can, get a tutor to do it.
Squiggles1238
Rep:
Yeah idk about the extenuating/special circumstances, I thought they were interchangeable or at least could be used in the same context but apparently not!
People do apply without predicted grades, you're not the first and you won't be the last! I don't know the exact details of how it works but I assume unis can make a fair guess at your grade from your GCSEs and maybe even your first sitting grade. It might depend on the uni and course, so maybe worth emailing about that but ideally get your old school to give predictions or if you can, get a tutor to do it.
thats okay, I appreciate you helping!

I'm doing a 3rd year of college, so (as awkward as it is), I would have 1 A level grade I would be applying with, one predicted grade, and one predicted grade which is the resit, very confusing I know! So I would still be in good contact with my college as I will still be attending there
bea_murray0
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
thats okay, I appreciate you helping!

I'm doing a 3rd year of college, so (as awkward as it is), I would have 1 A level grade I would be applying with, one predicted grade, and one predicted grade which is the resit, very confusing I know! So I would still be in good contact with my college as I will still be attending there
Great, I;m sure they'll be very willing to support you with it then, best of luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (130)
40.25%
They're exactly what I expected (79)
24.46%