what do i do on a gap year??

Watch this thread
tamararama
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m most likely going to take a gap year and reapply for 2023 but I have absolutely no plans so far because I’ve only just figured it out.
I’m hopefully going to find work experience within film/media/journalism but i don’t really know where to start. also i might want to travel but i literally have no savings so how do people go about travelling.
hyacinth77
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Hello!

I'm also taking a gap year (main difference is I had decided it from the start) but please do not fret!

I'd say the first thing you need to do is get a job, any job! This can be in retail, catering whatever! Find a job you can commit to and save up! I'd also highly recommend that you do some work experience/volunteering that's at least a bit relevant to your course. If you want to reapply this is the perfect opportunity to gain more skills that you can add to your personal statement.

If you're not happy with the grades you receive in August you can resit them in November. This will mean that you'll get the results quite close to the deadline but it's a great opportunity to fix your mistakes if you end up in this situation.

The best time to travel would probably be in the summer. I was also thinking of going in about March of next year. To save money, I'm planning to live with my relatives as many of them live in Europe. If you want to solo travel, interrailing is a good option I've yet to discuss this with my parents just because I'm prioritising getting a job first, and saving some money!

You could also learn a new language if you wish. Time is of the essence in a gap year, but please take some time to relax, explore your old hobbies and try some new ones. I would be more than happy to answer any other questions you might have or give some more ideas if you're still unsure of how to spend your gap year.

Wishing you all the best!
tamararama
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by hyacinth77)
Hello!

I'm also taking a gap year (main difference is I had decided it from the start) but please do not fret!

I'd say the first thing you need to do is get a job, any job! This can be in retail, catering whatever! Find a job you can commit to and save up! I'd also highly recommend that you do some work experience/volunteering that's at least a bit relevant to your course. If you want to reapply this is the perfect opportunity to gain more skills that you can add to your personal statement.

If you're not happy with the grades you receive in August you can resit them in November. This will mean that you'll get the results quite close to the deadline but it's a great opportunity to fix your mistakes if you end up in this situation.

The best time to travel would probably be in the summer. I was also thinking of going in about March of next year. To save money, I'm planning to live with my relatives as many of them live in Europe. If you want to solo travel, interrailing is a good option I've yet to discuss this with my parents just because I'm prioritising getting a job first, and saving some money!

You could also learn a new language if you wish. Time is of the essence in a gap year, but please take some time to relax, explore your old hobbies and try some new ones. I would be more than happy to answer any other questions you might have or give some more ideas if you're still unsure of how to spend your gap year.

Wishing you all the best!
thank you!! that’s really helpful. i’ll have to start planning now then haha. but yeah saving up and then going travelling sounds like a good idea so thanks!
hyacinth77
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tamararama)
thank you!! that’s really helpful. i’ll have to start planning now then haha. but yeah saving up and then going travelling sounds like a good idea so thanks!
You're very welcome!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.68%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (41)
25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.49%

Watched Threads