The Student Room Group

Watch a trial at court

Hi there i would like to go watch a trial at court as it could be useful as I could see barristers and what they truly do. Does anyone know how it works and should I be their for when the court opens? What should I do as previously they said they are back running now to come watch trials and that I should turn up on the day and I will get information. If anyone has previously gone to watch how does it work?
Hello, I visited one of our local courts recently with my school. As there were to be several students going, they asked us to 'book' ahead due to covid, however, if you're going alone then I presume you would just be able to turn up. I believe they put up on a noticeboard what cases are being heard each day, and the general times to go alongside it, so you could always turn up first thing to check when the case will be held.

They will probably ask you why you are there, but they are fine to allow you in if you say you're there to just see how it works, there for academic purposes etc, as I'm sure you know that almost anyone is allowed in to most cases being heard.
Original post by Hailey629
Hi there i would like to go watch a trial at court as it could be useful as I could see barristers and what they truly do. Does anyone know how it works and should I be their for when the court opens? What should I do as previously they said they are back running now to come watch trials and that I should turn up on the day and I will get information. If anyone has previously gone to watch how does it work?

Hi Hailey629,

Yes you should be able to go to your local court now and sit in the public gallery to watch the cases in open court. As not all cases are public, the best way to go about this is to visit the reception desk when you first go in and ask which court rooms you will be allowed to sit in; if the court is a small one it may not have a reception desk but instead you will need to seek out the 'Usher', this is the person who calls the cases in and will often be seen walking around with a clipboard or seen going round groups checking their names. Often cases are listed from 10am to 12pm-ish, then 1pm to 4pm but may vary depending on the court. I would advise that you are at court before these times.

You can also see the Supreme Court cases online: https://www.supremecourt.uk/live/court-01.html or visit the court in person.

Courtserve is also a good service to sign up to: https://www.courtserve.net/

Hope that helps.

Nic
Student Ambassador at The University of Law
Yes. just turn up at your local courthouse.
Reply 5
Original post by The University of Law Students
Hi Hailey629,

Yes you should be able to go to your local court now and sit in the public gallery to watch the cases in open court. As not all cases are public, the best way to go about this is to visit the reception desk when you first go in and ask which court rooms you will be allowed to sit in; if the court is a small one it may not have a reception desk but instead you will need to seek out the 'Usher', this is the person who calls the cases in and will often be seen walking around with a clipboard or seen going round groups checking their names. Often cases are listed from 10am to 12pm-ish, then 1pm to 4pm but may vary depending on the court. I would advise that you are at court before these times.

You can also see the Supreme Court cases online: https://www.supremecourt.uk/live/court-01.html or visit the court in person.

Courtserve is also a good service to sign up to: https://www.courtserve.net/

Hope that helps.

Nic
Student Ambassador at The University of Law

Hi Nic

Can I go to any courts or is it specifically like crown courts/magistrate courts. I want the chance to possibly watch a criminal trial so where courts wise might be best to visit if you may know? Thank you for the links too! How long do trials usually take too will I be their for a few hours or for the whole day?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Hailey629
Hi Nic

Can I go to any courts or is it specifically like crown courts/magistrate courts. I want the chance to possibly watch a criminal trial so where courts wise might be best to visit if you may know? Thank you for the links too! How long do trials usually take too will I be their for a few hours or for the whole day?

Hi @Hailey629,

Please check with your local courts but as far as I'm aware people aged over 14 are allowed to visit a magistrates' court or crown court and observe the case from the public gallery. These are of course criminal courts so would be a great opportunity for you to visit and learn more about criminal proceedings since that's what you prefer and it would be interesting to watch! But I'm not sure exactly how long you would be there it might just be a few hours though this may differ.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Sarah ULaw student ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending