Is predicting the paper for mocks cheating

Watch this thread
RollingPixies
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm in year 10 at the moment, sitting my last mock of the year tomorrow, Physics. I and my friends revised from a biology past paper and got really lucky it was the same. We predicted it'd be the same for Chemistry and yes it was thank gosh. My issue is I don't think it's right to do, it feels like cheating to revise specific papers predicting it's the mock. My teachers said to do past papers, that they're online. I feel horrible about it, I know I'd probably do poorly without the past paper revision. I've kinda thought about it and I think I'll do this physics exam and then revise properly for the rest of them, not relying only on our predictions. I feel like it's really unfair to the other students and honestly, I don't think it's right at all.I was using the aqa website which anybody can access, my teachers said to use maths and physics tutor for past paper revision though.Feeling bad about it regardless, is it wrong? Am I cheating?
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
If you’re just doing the past paper, or even worse doing a lot of past papers just in the end to memorise the mark schemes to specific questions, then you’re doing yourself a disservice tbh.
Squiggles1238
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I mean, your teachers told you to use the papers to revise, so it's not necessarily cheating per se. I guess it's more up to you and how much like your real exams you want your mocks to feel. If you don't want to have a better chance at seeing the exact questions that come up, then skip the series of papers your teachers are likely to use to make the mock, and look over the ones before it
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
This is the fault of your teacher for using publicly available papers. There are locked mock sets and they have no excuse for not using them. They are inviting students to "cheat" and at GCSE level most will do so.

That said, unless you want to get into a competitive sixth forms these mocks count for zilch apart from your own improvement, and you are missing an opportunity for that.
Last edited by _gcx; 1 month ago
RollingPixies
Rep:
(Original post by Squiggles1238)
I mean, your teachers told you to use the papers to revise, so it's not necessarily cheating per se. I guess it's more up to you and how much like your real exams you want your mocks to feel. If you don't want to have a better chance at seeing the exact questions that come up, then skip the series of papers your teachers are likely to use to make the mock, and look over the ones before it
Personally, I hate it, I feel like I am cheating and that it's wrong to do. I'm starting real revision for my mocks in year 11 now because it's just been circling through my head for hours now. I just feel so bad for doing it, I just want to be able to pass these ones so my mum isn't upset at me and then on my year 11 mocks I'll really pull my socks up if you get what i mean
It's really tormenting me, I feel so fake and it's not genuine at all
_gcx
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RollingPixies)
Personally, I hate it, I feel like I am cheating and that it's wrong to do. I'm starting real revision for my mocks in year 11 now because it's just been circling through my head for hours now. I just feel so bad for doing it, I just want to be able to pass these ones so my mum isn't upset at me and then on my year 11 mocks I'll really pull my socks up if you get what i mean
idk, if these mocks don't count for anything (eg. you're staying at your current school for sixth form), you could avoid looking at them.

You could call it "cheating" but your school/science dept has been incredibly lazy and must realise that plenty of students will have seen the papers beforehand. I would take a different attitude if they were using the locked mock sets that you'd obtained, but that's obviously not the case here.
RollingPixies
Rep:
(Original post by CaptainDuckie)
If you’re just doing the past paper, or even worse doing a lot of past papers just in the end to memorise the mark schemes to specific questions, then you’re doing yourself a disservice tbh.
We wanted to do past papers to revise from, it's only now that we know they're using a specific year for science. I know I'm doing myself a disservice, I just want to pass so I don't disappoint my mum. I'm really going to revise and earn the marks I just feel like I have to get through these tests first if you get what I mean. I'm glad I feel guilty because then I realise now how important it is to do things properly. It's just empty success for me, thanks for your reply btw it makes me feel better
Squiggles1238
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I completely understand how you feel, I wouldn't worry too much, as your teachers themselves advised you to use past papers, and if they didn't want you to look at them then they wouldn't have suggested it. By the sounds of it, you've only done it for a couple of papers, not for every single mock you've sat, so it's not as bad.
I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, but my advice going forward is to try and not do this with your year 11 mocks, as you want them to represent the real experience of sitting exams. Granted, they will be harder to predict as your teachers will likely use papers that are locked from students. Still, some students try and ask around to see if students who have already sat the papers will tell them what was in them, which I would not advise doing.
RollingPixies
Rep:
(Original post by _gcx)
idk, if these mocks don't count for anything (eg. you're staying at your current school for sixth form), you could avoid looking at them.

You could call it "cheating" but your school/science dept has been incredibly lazy and must realise that plenty of students will have seen the papers beforehand. I would take a different attitude if they were using the locked mock sets that you'd obtained, but that's obviously not the case here.
I'm going to college in a town nearby, these mocks are just practice, I hope they change it and use locked ones after this because it's setting me and my friends up for failure at this point. I personally know I need to revise and that I will to get the grades I want, I just don't want them failing because of me accidentally choosing the same paper
Talkative Toad
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _gcx)
This is the fault of your teacher for using publicly available papers. There are locked mock sets and they have no excuse for not using them. They are inviting students to "cheat" and at GCSE level most will do so.

That said, unless you want to get into a competitive sixth forms these mocks count for zilch apart from your own improvement, and you are missing an opportunity for that.
This, if the paper is unlocked then I don't see the issue.
_Robyn_
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
This exact thing happened to me last year during mocks. I figured out they were using the same year papers for all subjects so I just memorized as many answers as I could. My teachers said it was fine as they said to do past papers but in the long run it's not very good. As in my actual GCSE I won't be able to do this so it wasn't an accurate grade in my mocks. But no, I don't think it's cheating.
_gcx
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I'm going to college in a town nearby, these mocks are just practice, I hope they change it and use locked ones after this because it's setting me and my friends up for failure at this point. I personally know I need to revise and that I will to get the grades I want, I just don't want them failing because of me accidentally choosing the same paper
i doubt they will for other papers in this mock "season", unless it becomes immediately obvious that most people have cheated and they pull the plug (this is what my GCSE french teacher did for one of our papers).
RollingPixies
Rep:
I completely understand how you feel, I wouldn't worry too much, as your teachers themselves advised you to use past papers, and if they didn't want you to look at them then they wouldn't have suggested it. By the sounds of it, you've only done it for a couple of papers, not for every single mock you've sat, so it's not as bad.
I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, but my advice going forward is to try and not do this with your year 11 mocks, as you want them to represent the real experience of sitting exams. Granted, they will be harder to predict as your teachers will likely use papers that are locked from students. Still, some students try and ask around to see if students who have already sat the papers will tell them what was in them, which I would not advise doing.
I looked on the website they told us to use and yep they're all there. We did it coincidentally in Biology, just got lucky. For Chemistry we did a guess and were right, Physics is tomorrow and they've guessed it's gonna be the same set again. I will never ever do this again it feels so horrible and I'm glad I feel bad about it otherwise getting too reliant might be an issue. Thanks for your reply
Squiggles1238
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I looked on the website they told us to use and yep they're all there. We did it coincidentally in Biology, just got lucky. For Chemistry we did a guess and were right, Physics is tomorrow and they've guessed it's gonna be the same set again. I will never ever do this again it feels so horrible and I'm glad I feel bad about it otherwise getting too reliant might be an issue. Thanks for your reply
At least you've recognised the problems it poses now, as opposed to just before you sit your real exam in year 11! And like an above commenter said, your year 10 mocks aren't overly important so I wouldn't stress
RollingPixies
Rep:
(Original post by _gcx)
i doubt they will for other papers in this mock "season", unless it becomes immediately obvious that most people have cheated and they pull the plug (this is what my GCSE french teacher did for one of our papers).
I hope they know that they kinda need to switch to locked ones. Yes, it will ultimately be my fault for that. I was the one who organised the revision session after all and picked a random paper. I feel so bad about it
RollingPixies
Rep:
At least you've recognised the problems it poses now, as opposed to just before you sit your real exam in year 11! And like an above commenter said, your year 10 mocks aren't overly important so I wouldn't stress
I'm glad I've recognized it, I really am. They did tell us to use past papers and the exact ones we sat are available without any restrictions on that site so i guess they could've assumed we'd do this. I'm glad it's only year 10, I have time to make up for my mistakes and actually do well, being proud of what I got. This is my last mock tomorrow anyways so we're just about done :3
_gcx
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I hope they know that they kinda need to switch to locked ones. Yes, it will ultimately be my fault for that. I was the one who organised the revision session after all and picked a random paper. I feel so bad about it
Well they have to be vaguely oblivious to do it in the first place, so idk if they'd catch the hint.

If you wanted to go nuclear you could tell them however you may not be very popular in doing so
sufys
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I'm in year 10 at the moment, sitting my last mock of the year tomorrow, Physics. I and my friends revised from a biology past paper and got really lucky it was the same. We predicted it'd be the same for Chemistry and yes it was thank gosh. My issue is I don't think it's right to do, it feels like cheating to revise specific papers predicting it's the mock. My teachers said to do past papers, that they're online. I feel horrible about it, I know I'd probably do poorly without the past paper revision. I've kinda thought about it and I think I'll do this physics exam and then revise properly for the rest of them, not relying only on our predictions. I feel like it's really unfair to the other students and honestly, I don't think it's right at all.I was using the aqa website which anybody can access, my teachers said to use maths and physics tutor for past paper revision though.Feeling bad about it regardless, is it wrong? Am I cheating?
No, it isn't cheating.
RollingPixies
Rep:
(Original post by _gcx)
Well they have to be vaguely oblivious to do it in the first place, so idk if they'd catch the hint.

If you wanted to go nuclear you could tell them however you may not be very popular in doing so
I won't tell the teachers lol, my friends would hate me for it. I believe as long as we do it properly from now on that it'll be okay. I feel so much better after this forum and thats really cool so thanks for that. I'm worried my friends will get used to it and just rely on the papers. It might just have to be like that I guess. I think if the teachers do find out they won't be too mad at us especially since they told us to. I think they'd only be really upset if we kept on doing it. Sure it's giving them false hope but we'll try
RollingPixies
Rep:
(Original post by sufys)
No, it isn't cheating.
Ah thanks :3 I won't do it again though since it'll bite me back in my real exams, plus it'd feel better to pass on my own
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
69%
In the post (4)
4%
Text (13)
13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (14)
14%

Watched Threads