Need some advice about looking into unis

Watch this thread
bowlingforsoph
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My sixth form partnership is made up of a few schools in the area. My base school (where I do history and psychology) is more 'aspirational' than the other school I go to for English literature, in the sense that, on the whole, my base school has more high achievers than the other school, and you can get contextual offers if you go to my non-base school, since not a lot of people who have gone there end up going to uni.

The head of sixth at my base school is very biased towards Russell Group unis, which I guess is fair enough to a certain extent. He's tried to make the point that a uni being in the Russell Group should only be one factor we consider, but it's very clear that he's critical of most non-Russell Group unis. On the other hand, my English teacher at my other school insists that we should base our decisions on what fits us best, rather than on the whole RG thing.

I'm predicted AAB (something that may be subject to change once I get the rest of my mock results back), so I feel like I'm expected to go to a RG uni. Obviously, I want to go to a decent uni so I don't go into debt for a shite place, but just going to uni would be an accomplishment because no one in my immediate family went to uni (only my aunties and cousin). I have no idea where I actually want to go, but I feel like I'd look like an idiot going to a non-RG uni considering my predicted grades. I'm not opposed to RG unis in the slightest, but the pressure I feel is starting to get to me and confusing me.

Could anyone give me some advice?

I want to do English lit and film studies at uni, and I'd really like to become a secondary school English teacher, if that influences your advice.
Squiggles1238
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I'm sorry you've had the idea that you must go to a RG uni shoved down your throat; this is not at all the case. Often there is much more academic pressure in these unis, and they just might not be right for some people. Unless you're applying for something like law (which you've said you're not), then it matters much less. Obviously, yes, you should aim for good universities as no one wants to go to a not-so-good one, but you shouldn't feel pressured to go to a RG one either. They arent the be all and end all, and there are plenty of good universities who are not part of this group.

You should attend universities for reasons such as the course they offer appeals to you, you like the area in which it is based etc, not solely on the fact that it is a RG uni.

Just choose options which suit you best, regardless of their status as a RG uni
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Read this - How to Avoid 5 Rejections - especially the section about applying to 5 courses with a range of grade requirements : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections

This year saw thousands of applicants who had applied to 5 high-grade choices (typically Russell Group Unis) end up with no offers.
It only they had included some slightly lower grade choices, they would now have a potential Uni place, instead they have nothing.
This is one of the dangers of the daft obsession with Russell Group Unis, and especially with London Unis like LSE, KCL and UCL

There is increasing evidence that 'which Uni' isnt a big factor in graduate futures - more important is degree classification (grade).

There are plenty of excellent Unis in the UK who are not part of the Russell Group - Bath, Lancaster, St Andrews, Leicester, Loughborough, Sussex etc etc. Its a meaningless distinction.

You add your Uni choices, you push the button to apply.
Your Headteacher does not decide where you can apply, or where you decide to go.
Ghostlady
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bowlingforsoph )
My sixth form partnership is made up of a few schools in the area. My base school (where I do history and psychology) is more 'aspirational' than the other school I go to for English literature, in the sense that, on the whole, my base school has more high achievers than the other school, and you can get contextual offers if you go to my non-base school, since not a lot of people who have gone there end up going to uni.

The head of sixth at my base school is very biased towards Russell Group unis, which I guess is fair enough to a certain extent. He's tried to make the point that a uni being in the Russell Group should only be one factor we consider, but it's very clear that he's critical of most non-Russell Group unis. On the other hand, my English teacher at my other school insists that we should base our decisions on what fits us best, rather than on the whole RG thing.

I'm predicted AAB (something that may be subject to change once I get the rest of my mock results back), so I feel like I'm expected to go to a RG uni. Obviously, I want to go to a decent uni so I don't go into debt for a shite place, but just going to uni would be an accomplishment because no one in my immediate family went to uni (only my aunties and cousin). I have no idea where I actually want to go, but I feel like I'd look like an idiot going to a non-RG uni considering my predicted grades. I'm not opposed to RG unis in the slightest, but the pressure I feel is starting to get to me and confusing me.

I want to do English lit and film studies at uni, and I'd really like to become a secondary school English teacher, if that influences your advice.
First of all, no one she be pressuring you to choose a certain type of uni. Go with your english teacher and do what best fits you. My eldest studies at Lancaster, a non RG uni and had amazing opportunities with internships and her course and support has been superb and they just been awarded 2.9mil for funding. As for RG unis having more funding for research, its not always the case. Some departments at other none RG unis get a fair share too. She chose some RG (oxford/york) and some none RG (lancaster/leicester) so you might want to look at both.
Couple of you tubers. They finished their english degrees, but Jack Edwards, and Ruby Granger, they studied at Durham and Exeter, so might be worth a watch.
Last edited by Ghostlady; 1 month ago
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
As above, many of the non-RG Unis offer more 'extras' like internships and placements, and these can really make a dufference to your graduate job chances. This puts you ahead of many of the thousands of newly minted graduates without any relevant work experience. The idea that 'only RG' can give you these extras is very out-dated. Go to Uni Open Days, listen to subjects/course presentations, look around, ask questions, and make your own decision about which Uni is right for you.
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Nobody gives a **** if you even have a degree when you enter the working world so it doesn’t really matter. I would consider attending a RG though just because you have the grades.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bowlingforsoph )

Ignore the rubbish being used by a biased teacher in your base school. Unfortunately there are loads out there who are misdirecting students for he sake of their school. Many use numbers of students going to Oxbridge/Russell Group as a way of selling their school and the greater the number the more impressive it looks.

You should go the university where you feel happiesr. This will be based on where the course interests you most and where the environment is most comfortable. The vast majority of RG universities are in big cities. If you wont feel comfortable in a city then you would be better going to a campus university in a smaller place.

The RG is a very successful marketing body and is convincing people like your foolish teacher that they have all the best universities. They dont. There are numerous universities outside RG that are evry bit as good as those in the RG and in some cases better.

Ask yourself if these universities are so good why do they need a marketing body to represent them. Why when the government in the early 1990s decided to open up education to previously non university education did they form the RG to protect them. Why was it mostly older universities in big cities that were invited to join them to protect their lucrative research funding.

The reality is that the RG mainly consists of older universities in large cities like London, Liverpool and Manchester. They dont suit everyone and you need to decide whether that environment is right for you. There are excellent universities outside of the RG but they are mainly more modern campus universities in smaller cities like Bath, East Anglia and Lancaster.

Dont listen to the rubbish being spouted by your teacher who is out of touch with reality and putting the schools interest before you. The most important issue is you go where you are most comfortable and where the course most interests you and that can be RG or not RG. Imagine yourself just diong as your teacher says and you end up hating the course or environment. You will be miserable for 3 years and unlikely to achieve your best results.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (8)
33.33%
Take a gap year (5)
20.83%
Resit my exams (6)
25%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (3)
12.5%
I don't know yet (1)
4.17%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4.17%

Watched Threads