Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    No, don't call 999. It actually sounds to me like an emotional problem- is she stressed, or hormonal, or depressed, or upset about something? Mums often give the old 'headache' excuse. If she says she's fine, maybe just try talking to her, but if she doesn't want to talk then leave her for a while. She'd know if she was really unwell.

ReputationRep:
    The exact purpose of NHS direct is to assist people in deciding how serious the ilness is so that they do not call 999 when it is not needed. They will not mind you asking questions when you are concerned about your mum. Mind you that they will insist on talking to her directly if at all possible.

ReputationRep:
    If it turns out to be nothing serious, no one will tell you off for calling NHS direct or ringing an ambulance. Just go for it.

(Original post by millyme)
    No, don't call 999. It actually sounds to me like an emotional problem- is she stressed, or hormonal, or depressed, or upset about something? Mums often give the old 'headache' excuse. If she says she's fine, maybe just try talking to her, but if she doesn't want to talk then leave her for a while. She'd know if she was really unwell.
    YEAH she has been stressed lately and upset and all. I think she might be depressed. I dont know she seems fine now.

ReputationRep:
    have you rang them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    YEAH she has been stressed lately and upset and all. I think she might be depressed. I dont know she seems fine now.
    I think that's probably what it is. Don't worry about her, it's not your fault. If she wants to talk then listen, but don't push her. Are you the only other person living at home, or is there another adult she can talk to? I expect she'll be fine in the morning. If she still seems bad maybe you could suggest to one of her close friends that they might like to pop round for a cup of tea, but try not to cause her any more stress. She's fine.

(Original post by Laura373)
    have you rang them?
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    they won't send an ambulance out for a headache.
    Unfortunately they do send to rubbish like benign headaches and stubbed toes, just slows down the response to people who need them.

(Original post by millyme)
    I think that's probably what it is. Don't worry about her, it's not your fault. If she wants to talk then listen, but don't push her. Are you the only other person living at home, or is there another adult she can talk to? I expect she'll be fine in the morning. If she still seems bad maybe you could suggest to one of her close friends that they might like to pop round for a cup of tea, but try not to cause her any more stress. She's fine.
    Thanx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belis)
    The exact purpose of NHS direct is to assist people in deciding how serious the ilness is so that they do not call 999 when it is not needed.
    agreed - if it doesnt seem really urgent, abviously need an ambulance serious, ring nhs direct first. Ringing 999 to call an ambulance to a genuine emergency, (for exmple, waking up to find your sister lieing on the landing floor not breathing, cant find a pulse), to find out you have to wait because the lines are no busy (no doubt some of them not emergencys) is the worst and scariest thing in the world.

if people need an ambulance they should ring for it straight away, of course - but for things like a headache - sorry but while extreme cases may need a&e, think about the person who might be in the above situation, who has to wait for that ambulance because they are all out to things that arent emergencys, or prank callers etc, when they are in a genuine life and death situation.

OP: that wasnt aimed directly at you, but at people reading this thread in general. That situation happening is scary enough, but when you cant get through to ask for an ambulance, or have to wait longer for that ambulance to arrive, it really is the scariest thing. We're talking life and death here. Sorry this is a topic that is kinda too close to me. I don't mean to cause offence or sound like i am aiming this at you either. I hope your mum is ok?

(Original post by eden)
    agreed - if it doesnt seem really urgent, abviously need an ambulance serious, ring nhs direct first. Ringing 999 to call an ambulance to a genuine emergency, (for exmple, waking up to find your sister lieing on the landing floor not breathing, cant find a pulse), to find out you have to wait because the lines are no busy (no doubt some of them not emergencys) is the worst and scariest thing in the world.

if people need an ambulance they should ring for it straight away, of course - but for things like a headache - sorry but while extreme cases may need a&e, think about the person who might be in the above situation, who has to wait for that ambulance because they are all out to things that arent emergencys, or prank callers etc, when they are in a genuine life and death situation.

OP: that wasnt aimed directly at you, but at people reading this thread in general. That situation happening is scary enough, but when you cant get through to ask for an ambulance, or have to wait longer for that ambulance to arrive, it really is the scariest thing. We're talking life and death here. Sorry this is a topic that is kinda too close to me. I don't mean to cause offence or sound like i am aiming this at you either. I hope your mum is ok?
    I know what you mean. Thats why i started this thread whether i should do it. My mum is fine now. Better then before. Looks like the panadol or paracetamol (same company :s) he;ped her!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know what you mean. Thats why i started this thread whether i should do it. My mum is fine now. Better then before. Looks like the panadol or paracetamol (same company :s) he;ped her!
    i am glad - it could have been made worse by some kind of emotional/upset thing. maybe just keep an eye on her kind of thing and see if she's feeling better tomorrow. if she's still having the same problem maybe she should think about seeing the doctor.

ReputationRep:
    Glad she's better. Be nice to her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    I'd ring the coroner instead, sounds like she's gong to die any minute.
    wow, you sound lovely.

ReputationRep:
    Heya, is your mum still ok?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.