Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown_Bateman)
    rankings haven't updated since the 14th .... how very annoying. I'd like to know how my performance currently compares to others.
    On +630% now but have decided i won't trade anymore. Too close to the finish line to **** it all up
    Just hit $900k.. aim is a bill then let it ride.

ReputationRep:
    What on earth have you lot been trading? And have you followed any kinds of strategies? I'm guessing not with the volatilities that have been exhibited here.

My strategy with these ones is always to stick to a few currency pairs that I know - 150 sounds extreme and hard to manage.

ReputationRep:
    +3425%

i think i broke the game lol. it crashed when i just closed all my positions (had 150 open trades) and showed me with a P&L profit of £9 billion and balance n/a.

logged out and back in and it corrected to

I'm done now
    Superior.

ReputationRep:
    the majority of them were multiple tickets on the same position, to get round the 10 million units per ticket limit
    I'm not sure if that's going to impress the firm when they look at your trading pattern. 1) Where's your integrity, and 2) Why have you no respect whatsoever for risk management? You ought to think of good answers to these questions - someone's going to make you answer them.

ReputationRep:
    .... still a 3500% return on 14 days is impressive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedKnight)
    I'm not sure if that's going to impress the firm when they look at your trading pattern. 1) Where's your integrity, and 2) Why have you no respect whatsoever for risk management? You ought to think of good answers to these questions - someone's going to make you answer them.
    You just say that you were trading in order to win the game, not to show a profit. Since everyone else was punting huge positions, you had to as well otherwise you stood no chance unless you were planning on grinding the game 24/7 or something.

ReputationRep:
    +3425%

i think i broke the game lol. it crashed when i just closed all my positions (had 150 open trades) and showed me with a P&L profit of £9 billion and balance n/a.

logged out and back in and it corrected to

I'm done now
    Absolute legend:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Guess you've won?

ReputationRep:
    Well done man good stuff. does the winner of the JPM trading game get an internship?

ReputationRep:
    would really like to know what your trading strategies were...

ReputationRep:
    nope, but the best from each university gets to work shadow a trader there sometime next month. I hope to make the most of it as I'm applying for industry impressions later on
    Good stuff man!!! that should be u sorted
    cool. im leading a team to enter something similar form January- the ML investment challenge. really want to do well in that. should look good for 2nd year applications for research/asset management. plus the finalists get spring weeks and fast-tracked to 2nd year AC.

ReputationRep:
    erm ..wow ... rankings finally got updated... meh, guess i should've stopped at 630% LOL

Lol **** 1st place, look at the guy that got 26% with 0 trades.

Thats impressive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoZEr)

Thats impressive!
    soomething's not right here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoZEr)

Thats impressive!
    You balance starts off in £, which when the game begins gets exchanged into $. The closing amount $ is then transferred back to £ - i.e. the system makes two trades without loging them in. Other than that, it's a bug.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jibzy)
    would really like to know what your trading strategies were...
    short GBP/USD, close it, use more balance to short GBP/USD and repeat.

ReputationRep:
    Your Sharpe ratio looks healthy too, so it's not even suggesting that you took undue risk, especially not compared to the others.

ReputationRep:
    Increased leverage from the default 20:1 to 50:1

1.)browsed oanda website and saw how portfolio return was calculated. noticed, based on the formula, that one could add funds to their account and so long as these were withdrawn before portfolio return is calculated, any profits or losses gained on these would be tied into your original 100,000. Luckily, I never made any losses in the trades i made while doing this

2.) only traded on currency pairs with low spreads

3.) watched bloomberg anytime I was in my room (left it on 24/7), read analyst columns, used support and resistance levels, trendlines, candlesticks and fibonacci retracements to judge when to enter and exit trades.

4.) Was going to stop on 630%, but i misinterpreted a post in here by someone who i thought said he would stop after hitting 1000%. I decided I'd go for something big to guarantee my #1 spot

Biggest pay off came after I noticed an unusual rally in the gbp/usd. This went against where I'd predicted it would end that day after reading a lot of columns, news of the mpc minutes etc, so I used all my margin betting against the trend, shorting gbp / usd at what i felt was, or would be near the peak (used no stops as i was pretty confident i was right on this one, even though the last trade i was "so confident" about landed me in the red:p: ).

Went out to coventry, came back later in the night to find out I'd picked exactly the right spot and after the 2000+ pip gain, the gbp fell +2500 pips.

Closed all the trades, ended up with 2 million + profit

/end
    Apart from the leverage and point 1 (which you'd be slaughtered for if you did for real in a Bank), sounds like a pretty good methodology, and a lot less random than it sounded.

ReputationRep:
    Increased leverage from the default 20:1 to 50:1

1.)browsed oanda website and saw how portfolio return was calculated. noticed, based on the formula, that one could add funds to their account and so long as these were withdrawn before portfolio return is calculated, any profits or losses gained on these would be tied into your original 100,000. Luckily, I never made any losses in the trades i made while doing this

2.) only traded on currency pairs with low spreads

3.) watched bloomberg anytime I was in my room (left it on 24/7), read analyst columns, used support and resistance levels, trendlines, candlesticks and fibonacci retracements to judge when to enter and exit trades.

4.) Was going to stop on 630%, but i misinterpreted a post in here by someone who i thought said he would stop after hitting 1000%. I decided I'd go for something big to guarantee my #1 spot

Biggest pay off came after I noticed an unusual rally in the gbp/usd. This went against where I'd predicted it would end that day after reading a lot of columns, news of the mpc minutes etc, so I used all my margin betting against the trend, shorting gbp / usd at what i felt was, or would be near the peak (used no stops as i was pretty confident i was right on this one, even though the last trade i was "so confident" about landed me in the red:p: ).

Went out to coventry, came back later in the night to find out I'd picked exactly the right spot and after the 2000+ pip gain, the gbp fell +2500 pips.

Closed all the trades, ended up with 2 million + profit

/end
    well-thought out.
    have you told 'Jan' this yet?? he would be quite interested to hear...

ReputationRep:
    haha yeah. I noticed point 1 after day 1 when i was -27.03% and was looking for a quick way out of the mess. Studied the formula for portfolio return calculation and suddenly became enlightened lol

yeah, i kept him informed the whole way through it. He was very supportive :yep:
    good stuff.

ReputationRep:
    wow, that's sick impressive. you've got a big future if you want it dude.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.