are a levels important once you're in Uni? Law

Watch this thread
anonymous_397
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I just finished my first year of uni and passed my exams meaning I'm going into my second year this year. I understand that I should be focusing on my degree but when applying to high firm work experiences they have a requirement of AAB. I'm one grade off and I don't mind retaking one A level this year. Do you think it's worth it? Will high firms accept me when applying for jobs if I don't? I know that companies value work experience a lot so I'm not sure what to do.
Gmaster1980
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anonymous_397)
I just finished my first year of uni and passed my exams meaning I'm going into my second year this year. I understand that I should be focusing on my degree but when applying to high firm work experiences they have a requirement of AAB. I'm one grade off and I don't mind retaking one A level this year. Do you think it's worth it? Will high firms accept me when applying for jobs if I don't? I know that companies value work experience a lot so I'm not sure what to do.
The firms the require decent A-levels won't look favourably on a retake i.e. retaking now won't wipe out your existing results. Focus on firms that don't care about A-levels or try to mitigate them in some way.
TFEU
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Not worth it imo. Firms with strict A level requirements prob wouldn’t give much weight to your resit results because 1) those A level requirements usually refer to the first sitting grades, and 2) it’s obv that someone who has finished 1 year of uni is prob going to do better on an A level exam that is taken by mostly 6th formers.

2nd year is going to be more intense so it’s best to focus on that.

Lots of firms have lower or no A level requirements so you still have plenty of options. Some AAB+ firms are not too strict with this requirement but the applicant is usually able to override their A level results by getting stellar uni grades or impressive work experience.
anonymous_397
Rep:
tha
(Original post by TFEU)
Not worth it imo. Firms with strict A level requirements prob wouldn’t give much weight to your resit results because 1) those A level requirements usually refer to the first sitting grades, and 2) it’s obv that someone who has finished 1 year of uni is prob going to do better on an A level exam that is taken by mostly 6th formers.

2nd year is going to be more intense so it’s best to focus on that.

Lots of firms have lower or no A level requirements so you still have plenty of options. Some AAB+ firms are not too strict with this requirement but the applicant is usually able to override their A level results by getting stellar uni grades or impressive work experience.
thank you! what do you think about sitting a new A level exam? or do you think I should I just move on and focus on uni
anonymous_397
Rep:
(Original post by Gmaster1980)
The firms the require decent A-levels won't look favourably on a retake i.e. retaking now won't wipe out your existing results. Focus on firms that don't care about A-levels or try to mitigate them in some way.
thank you! what do you think about sitting a new a level exam? as in a subject I haven't sat before. Should I just scrap the idea of a levels and focus completely on uni?
TFEU
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
tha

thank you! what do you think about sitting a new A level exam? or do you think I should I just move on and focus on uni
I think it's best to stop thinking about A levels and focus on uni.
Gmaster1980
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
thank you! what do you think about sitting a new a level exam? as in a subject I haven't sat before. Should I just scrap the idea of a levels and focus completely on uni?
I agree with TFEU that you should not bother with A-levels at this point.
17Student17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes, firms look at if they were all taken at once so doing one later no matter how well you do in it will not count. Also lots of people get all As and still find it very hard to get into the very best law firms so should just concentrate on your degree, applying for vacation schemes and then law firms which perhaps are not top tier.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads