The Student Room Group

Should I get a personal trainer?

I have no idea what equipments to use or how to use them. I have never been to a gym; this would be my first time

Furthermore, I don’t want to look like a newbie and fool to the people at the gym- if they catch me looking hopeless and not knowing what to do

Would hiring a personal trainer solve these issues? Or would I just figure it out at the gym, because there’s advice on how to do the exercises and what these exercise do on the equipments? (At least, I saw these on the equipment of my school, idrk) Furthermore, is it even worth it to hire a PT at this newbie stage?
Original post by Idc123
I have no idea what equipments to use or how to use them. I have never been to a gym; this would be my first time

Furthermore, I don’t want to look like a newbie and fool to the people at the gym- if they catch me looking hopeless and not knowing what to do

Would hiring a personal trainer solve these issues? Or would I just figure it out at the gym, because there’s advice on how to do the exercises and what these exercise do on the equipments? (At least, I saw these on the equipment of my school, idrk) Furthermore, is it even worth it to hire a PT at this newbie stage?

You should get n induction at the gym, if you explain you haven’t been a member at a gym before they should do a longer one. If you have never done a certain machine or exercise thene the on hand gym staff should be able to spare a couple minutes without it being a paid for PT session.

PT is more for developing a certain routine for specific goals rather then using the gym in general, you can do it id you like but PTs are quite an expensive way to gym, id certainly use your free induction before booking up with a PT.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
You should get n induction at the gym, if you explain you haven’t been a member at a gym before they should do a longer one. If you have never done a certain machine or exercise thene the on hand gym staff should be able to spare a couple minutes without it being a paid for PT session.

PT is more for developing a certain routine for specific goals rather then using the gym in general, you can do it id you like but PTs are quite an expensive way to gym, id certainly use your free induction before booking up with a PT.

So would a PT be worth it if I’m going to the gym to simply grow my butt and hips? Or is simply growing those body parts relatively easy to do alone?

I apologise for all these questions
Original post by Idc123
So would a PT be worth it if I’m going to the gym to simply grow my butt and hips? Or is simply growing those body parts relatively easy to do alone?

I apologise for all these questions

Well a PT can’t physically do it, more just helps if you have very specific performance goals and need to do longer routines with very targeted characteristics from certain body groups, otherwise you are essentially paying for motivation, which isn’t a problem but it’s expensive.

Simply to grow your muscles imo it’s not a great use of money when you can learn the exercises on YouTube then use the induction to get comfortable with the gym. But ultimately it’s your call.
Original post by Idc123

Hey there, I hope you're doing well.

It is suggested that you start your gym with a trainer to know the proper way and exercises of each muscle, starting to gym without a proper trainer can have many detrimental effects on your body such as lifting weight in the wrong position can cause fatigue, body pain and injuries, moreover, you wouldn't be able to figure out which exercises and the amounts of reps and sets are suitable for you. with a trainer he or she can help you guide things in this matter and this can reduce chances or risk of injury so it is better to start doing gym when you're starting. once you have made your routine and are comfortable with things you can track your own progress or have gym buddies that can help you when you're lifting heavy weights.

Quick Reply

Latest