Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have quite a strange body shape. I have pin-like legs, a very small bum and and no hips. BUT I have broad shoulders and a large bust and should I ever put on a few pounds, it goes straight to either my bust or my stomach. My mum's exactly the same.

My stomach is undoubtedly the problem area. I do try to watch what I eat and exercise regularly, but it makes very little difference. I used to be a really good runner, but whilst my stomach shrunk, it didn't completely flatten. And I loved using my exercise Swiss ball too, but that didn't do much either!

What am I doing wrong?

ReputationRep:
    You say you 'try' and you 'used to be'. You're not exercising sufficiently and you're eating more calories than you burn. Just dieting on it's own requires an obsessive willpower depending on howmuch weight you need to loose. That is don't underestimate the willpower required. I'm a fan of exercise now, and seems to help keep my weight under control.

ReputationRep:
    Eat tuna, worked a treat for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeAndBubbles)
    You say you 'try' and you 'used to be'. You're not exercising sufficiently and you're eating more calories than you burn. Just dieting on it's own requires an obsessive willpower depending on howmuch weight you need to loose. That is don't underestimate the willpower required. I'm a fan of exercise now, and seems to help keep my weight under control.
    Do you exercise every day? Cardio and strength training combined?

ReputationRep:
    Me personally, not everyday, but yesterday I walked 10 miles and only ate a small apple until about 7pm. If I'd stayed home I'd have been eating chocolate. When I got home I had peanut butter, chocolate. In fact I'm sure I didn't eat enough to cover the calories I burnt in walking/standing. Really Sunday is keeping me trim.

ReputationRep:
    Me personally, not everyday, but yesterday I walked 10 miles and only ate a small apple until about 7pm. If I'd stayed home I'd have been eating chocolate. When I got home I had peanut butter, chocolate. In fact I'm sure I didn't eat enough to cover the calories I burnt in walking/standing. Really Sunday is keeping me trim.
    That's not a good amount of food to consume during the day, in fact it's just stupid.....

ReputationRep:
    Maybe try some water-balance tablets? If the tummy you put on is soft and springs back when you prod it with a finger, it could be excess water-weight. I know this has been the case for me. I'd try HRI Waterbalance tablets. They're working for me

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, starvation really is a very silly way of trying to lose weight, not only will you lose muscle as well as fat which you don't want, it will only work temporarily and not permanently, infact you should be doing the opposite and keeping your metabolism active by eating regularly (in relatively small amounts so you don't consume too many calories overall for the day) and drinking water regularly. Especially as you walked so much your body needs the nutrients to provide your body the energy it needs.

ReputationRep:
    I have the exact same body shape as you! What I've found is half of the 'weight' on my stomach is actually where I'm bloated as opposed to being fat...I've tried those activia yoghurts, fennel tea etc etc but the only thing that tends to work for me is not eating too much at once or late at night (i.e. after 8pm)...maybe you have a similar problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chan89)
    I have the exact same body shape as you! What I've found is half of the 'weight' on my stomach is actually where I'm bloated as opposed to being fat...I've tried those activia yoghurts, fennel tea etc etc but the only thing that tends to work for me is not eating too much at once or late at night (i.e. after 8pm)...maybe you have a similar problem?
    I do bloat badly sometimes. My mum suffers from Irritable Bowel Syndrome and she spends most of her days with a round, bloated tummy, despite the fact she's actually slim and small boned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chan89)
    + drinking plenty of water
    + eating plenty of fruit and veg
    + cutting back/cutting out highly refined carbs (like white pasta, white bread, rice, etc)

ReputationRep:
    Eat more protein rich food and work harder on those abs. You need muscle mass to develop on the stomach area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Venom)
    That's not a good amount of food to consume during the day, in fact it's just stupid.....
    yeh, nearly fainted once, got wobbily..

ReputationRep:

the only appropriate response to this is:

lolwut

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebbs)
    the only appropriate response to this is:

lolwut
    give it a try fat boy:p: or did I mean frat boy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not as fat as you, and I'm stronger.

My response to you is; go out and read some decent books or journals.

ReputationRep:
    to have a flat stomach u need to have a certain percentage of body fat or less, and i think its quite low, a lot of people find it a difficult area to lose weight from as u store fat there. diet and exercise will get u a lot of the way, and after that if u do crunches etc it will build up your stomach muscles and this gives the appearance of a flatter stomach; however, u can do all the crunches u want, but if they are covered up by a layer of fat, u could have a 6 pac thats completely invisible! good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    I have pin-like legs, a very small bum
    Squat

Seriously, build up your legs a bit and you'll look better and your upper body will seem more in proportion.

ReputationRep:
    I have a bit of a tummy too but cardio and crunches seem to be helping majorly.. Also reduce the amount of things you eat that contain wheat and see if that helps?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.