How Did You Get Into Your Interest(s)?

Watch this thread
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I love learning about the wonderful and varied interests and hobbies people have.

I am always curious as to how exactly they discovered and got onto it :holmes:

pls share below, I would love to hear
Last edited by Obolinda; 1 month ago
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Calligraphy - to make my handins for Uni look posh (:rofl:)
Photography - to impress my lady (... yeah)
Hiking - to get photos

Jesus christ I have a sad set of reasons for my hobbies :cry:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
My mum is a classical pianist but tbh my route into piano playing/classical music was VERY heavily influenced by seeing this as a young child :teeth:

TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Reading/watching films as they're good ways to relax as you're taken away from real life things.
Volunteering as it's nice to help others.

Callicious your photography is amazing - do whatever you enjoy.
The_Lonely_Goatherd playing piano is incredible. :eek: Also love the reason you got interested in it.
Last edited by TriplexA; 1 month ago
gjd800
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I don't remember ever 'getting into' music, it was always around and I have loved it for as long as I can remember. I started with a guitar because I wanted to sound like old Zakk Wylde (I can) and then sound like Dave Murray (I can), so that was that.

History stuff I got into because the family always talked about the past and the old country, and the irish origins. You absorb that stuff and I've kept it with me. That branches out in other ways. My da was dead interested in the Medici, so I inherited the interest in Renaissance history.

Sanskrit and languages I got into because I realised if I wanted to be good at Indian philosophy and if I wanted to be taken seriously in the field, I;d need to know the languages. I started to enjoy it in its own right when I moved past philosophy into poetry and old prose.

In a lot of ways, I'm just curious, and my curiosity sometimes develops into a full-fledged interest
Callicious
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
My mum is a classical pianist but tbh my route into piano playing/classical music was VERY heavily influenced by seeing this as a young child :teeth:

Did you see

This made my day the first time I saw it
ran-dumb
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Music? My primary school made everyone learn an instrument.
Video games? Dad
Drinking? Dad
Rufus The Red
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Music/bass - when I first got a phone I was able to listen to music other than 80s radio and a Queen's greatest hits CD and began listening rather a lot. Lockdown helped in that I could listen to music during online lessons; then a bit over half a year ago one of my guitar-playing friends loaned me his bass because he didn't have anyone to play with. I'm currently still moderately naff at it though.
Maths - I can't really remember when it first became an interest, but the idea of playing with numbers and finding things out for myself has always been highly enjoyable.
Linguistics - The interest only arose in recent years, but it came from a similar place to my interest in maths and wanting to understand how languages change and develop - it originally came from both trying to learn Latin and learning about pre-Anglo-Saxon and pre-Roman Britain.
Badminton - My mum played (and still plays) a lot and she dragged me into it at an early age.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TriplexA)
The_Lonely_Goatherd playing piano is incredible. :eek: Also love the reason you got interested in it.
Ahhh I don't play anymore - gave that up about 13 years ago I was also obsessed with a short animation about a boy called Sparky and his magic piano :moon:

Weirdly, I ended up naming my violin Sparky but my piano doesn't have a name :holmes:

(Original post by Callicious)
Did you see

This made my day the first time I saw it
Nooooooooooooo never seen it :eek:

:ahee:

Callicious
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Ahhh I don't play anymore - gave that up about 13 years ago I was also obsessed with a short animation about a boy called Sparky and his magic piano :moon:

Weirdly, I ended up naming my violin Sparky but my piano doesn't have a name :holmes:

Nooooooooooooo never seen it :eek:

:ahee:

That's such a retro animation! I don't know why but it freaks me out though- very melancholic audio :lolwut:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
That's such a retro animation! I don't know why but it freaks me out though- very melancholic audio :lolwut:
It is a bit creepy - especially when the piano talks, tbh :headfire: I think I just liked the idea of a talking, self-playing piano I used to make my mum borrow the VHS from the local library on a near-weekly basis :rofl:
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Word of mouth
Callicious
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It is a bit creepy - especially when the piano talks, tbh :headfire: I think I just liked the idea of a talking, self-playing piano I used to make my mum borrow the VHS from the local library on a near-weekly basis :rofl:
We had one of those pianos that had an automatic roller thingy- you insert the cartridge, and it played! Was quite odd but spectacular to see. This was back in the days where my parents forced me to learn the thing (bribed me with money tho)
Last edited by Callicious; 1 month ago
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
We had one of those pianos that had an automatic roller thingy- you insert the cartridge, and it played! Was quite odd but spectacular to see. This was back in the days where my parents forced me to learn the thing (bribed me with money tho)
That's so cool :teeth:

I do love a good bribe
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
While working in a pretty dull job where I had a lot of spare time on the job, had done an OU module and was looking at doing another and saw they were discontinuing Greek after that year. Figured I may as well try it out since it was the last year available, and enjoyed it so much I went on to study Sanskrit (which I liked even more!)
Wheelsy
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I just randomly take swings at things that interest me. Examples have been dance classes, cooking classes, social groups, clubs, taking a general interest course, etc.. Basically anything that sounds appealing. It's not always what I'm looking for, but I think it's important to at least give things a try, even if you have a passing interest in them. Great way to meet new people too.
Obolinda
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Calligraphy - to make my handins for Uni look posh (:rofl:)
Photography - to impress my lady (... yeah)
Hiking - to get photos

Jesus christ I have a sad set of reasons for my hobbies :cry:
at least you have a hobby!
(Original post by artful_lounger)
While working in a pretty dull job where I had a lot of spare time on the job, had done an OU module and was looking at doing another and saw they were discontinuing Greek after that year. Figured I may as well try it out since it was the last year available, and enjoyed it so much I went on to study Sanskrit (which I liked even more!)
it's interesting for me to hear this story as I know Sanskrit is a bit (!) of a gear change from your previous studies, thanks for sharing this!
Last edited by Obolinda; 1 month ago
zuluwarrior7650
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Tech - daddy
Music - daddy
Sport - bro
Cars - self
Wannabevetnurse
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zuluwarrior7650)
Tech - daddy
Music - daddy
Sport - bro
Cars - self
Hotel? Trivago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads