A level choices

Watch this thread
rasa_p
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey everyone,
I’m choosing my A-levels atm and I’m torn over whether to take further maths or not. I’m not entirely sure what I want to study at university yet (but it will be something STEM related for sure) so it’s a little tricky. Does anyone know whether I really should take further maths if I want to get into something to do with computers and software ( I already do take computer science for GCSE) ?
Any advice would be helpful tbh I’m struggling 😭
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Computer Science courses often mandate Maths at A level, but I don't recall ever seeing one which mandated Further Maths.

Of course, if you went for something which combined Maths and Computing, then that'd be different. (For example Imperial's "BEng Mathematics and Computer Science" demands "A* in Mathematics, A* Further Mathematics, A in another useful subject".)

But if you're thinking about "something to do with computers and software" generally, you'll be fine with just Maths at A level. (Plus two others, or equivalent, obviously!)
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If you want to do any STEM subject at Uni, especially CS, then FM iwith give you more options of courses/Unis.
SagaciousSag
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rasa_p)
Hey everyone,
I’m choosing my A-levels atm and I’m torn over whether to take further maths or not. I’m not entirely sure what I want to study at university yet (but it will be something STEM related for sure) so it’s a little tricky. Does anyone know whether I really should take further maths if I want to get into something to do with computers and software ( I already do take computer science for GCSE) ?
I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't exceptional (8/9) at GCSE Maths. However, if you are, and you like it in general, it would open up more opportunities should you specifically want to pursue a career in CS.
pwp1014
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rasa_p)
Hey everyone,
Me too, I also had to decide if I wanted to do it but what is the worst that can happen, if I do bad later on in further maths I would drop it later on. I feel like further maths may help in the future though I also don't have a career in mind.
Just bliss
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I’d suggest you take it (maybe as a 4th a level even) see how you like it, then decide if/which to drop. I thought I’d drop further maths within a month but my teachers are amazing and I’ve discovered I enjoy maths more than I thought I did. I’m pretty sure (based on my friends applying) for computer science at top unis like Cambridge, they actually prefer having further maths opposed to actually having a level computer science but ofc that helps. (Someone correct me if I’m wrong though)

But honestly there’s no harm in taking it, you’ll likely surprise yourself. If you’re working at 8/9 at GCSE you’re good!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (29)
33.72%
They're exactly what I expected (23)
26.74%