Biomedical science in southampton or portsmouth

Watch this thread
SST.513
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I can't choose which uni is better for BSc Biomedical science. Southampton or Portsmouth. Can someone help me out to choose
bea_murray0
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SST.513)
I can't choose which uni is better for BSc Biomedical science. Southampton or Portsmouth. Can someone help me out to choose
That depends on what you're looking for. How do they rank for the course? Are they IBMS accredited (if that's important to you)? What course structure/assessment style do you prefer? What about the location? Living costs? Any clubs or societies you're interested in? How realistic are they for your grades? How big are they, what's the campus like? You get the gist, do lots of research and base it off what's important to you.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi SST.513

It's great to hear you are considering joining us at the University of Portsmouth.

Whilst I am not on the BSc Biomedical Science course I wanted to share the web link to the course page on our website with you https://www.port.ac.uk/study/courses...e-student-room. The website gives you information around what topics you will study, what opportunities there are and all the general course information around entry and exams.

There is a video on the website that you may find interesting from students and teachers on the course which will give you an insight into the course here at Portsmouth.

Also, we have an open day tomorrow, (Weds July 6th 2022), which runs from 0900-1700, there will be full campus tours, alongside students and lecturers from the courses to give you first-hand information and advice about the BSc Biomedical Science course.

Hopefully, we may see you tomorrow at our open day

Luke - Portsmouth Student Rep
Last edited by University of Portsmouth Student Rep; 1 month ago
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi SST.513

Biomedical science is a great degree to choose! I can give you some insight into Biomed at Southampton.

In your first year, you will do the same modules as biochem/pharmacology/neuroscience students in order to ensure everyone is at the same level moving forward and you have the correct foundation for second year. During this year, you will also have the opportunity to learn more about what you enjoy which will help you choose your optional modules in year 2/3.

In 2nd and 34d year you then have the options to select modules as well as take some compulsory ones. These optional modules vary from physiology, to proteins and neuroscience. You can also choose modules outside of biological sciences, such as psychology or UOSM modules UOSM modules are run by the university and include global health or ethics of science. There are LOADS of optional modules which enables you to tailor your degree to your interests - this means you degree content may be different to friends on the same course as you.

In 3rd year, you will do a dissertation. This does not need to be a lab dissertation - there are a range of options including science communication, literature projects, Bioscience education and biobuisness. Each of these choices will equip you with a variety of skills which will be helpful in a future career, especially if you know you want to work in education or understand more about science communication etc.

Here is a link to the course content where you can read about what optional modules you can take: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/course...ee-bsc#modules

A recent bonus to doing Biomed at Southampton is the course is now accredited by Royal Society of Biology! You can also have the opportunity to do a placement year between 2nd and 3d year which I could not recommend enough.

My advice to you would be to look at the courses and decide which university is most closely aligned with your interests. For example, do you definitely want to understand more about neuroscience? Both universities also have a great student life but research into the Student Unions and what there is to do around the area if you are still struggling! https://www.susu.org/

Lauren
(University of Southampton Rep)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (118)
40.14%